jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is the new trend for women to grow their armpit hair, attractive or not?

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Is the new trend for women to grow their armpit hair, attractive or not?

Armpit hair is expected for men but not women. There is a growing legion of mostly younger women letting their armpit hair blow in the wind. Is this a fad or are they making a statement?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image98
    Sherry Hewinsposted 2 years ago

I think 99.999% of women who have ever walked this planet had hair in their armpits, so it's not really new. When I was a teen, in California, back in the late 60's, I know lots of young women who didn't shave their bodies. Part of that whole natural, back to the land movement.

My impression is that the new movement is more about body acceptance, and I can support that. Women can do whatever they want with the hair on their bodies, but I don't like this idea that seems to have taken hold in the past few decades that hair on a woman's body is "gross."

3. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image80
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 2 years ago

I think it is unattractive but, I do agree with Sherry Hewins in that it sounds like it involves body acceptance.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They are making a statement I suppose and want to busk  convention.

4. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 2 years ago

I think it's making a statement. But they do need to trim it, if it becomes too hairy underneath, IMO.

5. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
    Michaela Osieckiposted 24 months ago

It doesn't matter if it's attractive or not - it's a personal choice and one that nobody should be shamed for. They're not doing it be attractive and earn the male gaze or whatever....they're loving their own bodies and accepting them as they truly are.

Maybe it's a fad for me, maybe not. But I'll be honest here, I don't always bother with shaving my underarm area and my boyfriend has never once made me feel ashamed for it. Any man (or woman) who would is a piece of ****.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image98
      Sherry Hewinsposted 24 months agoin reply to this

One thing I noticed about growing the hair on my legs was that my skin had more sensation, like shaving kind of numbed it a little. Also, my leg hair became blond in the sun, and against my tanned skin I kind of liked the look.

working