jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

If a person tattoo's him/herself black or white, is it safe to say that they cha

1. clivewilliams profile image82
    clivewilliamsposted 23 months ago

If a person tattoo's him/herself black or white, is it safe to say that they changed race?

2. LoliHey profile image56
    LoliHeyposted 23 months ago

No, how can they tattoo their whole body?  Although with transgenders becoming popular and accepted, I suppose it is only a matter of time before people start "identifying" as another race.  Wait--that already has happened--think Rachel Dolezal and Shaun King.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
      Michaela Osieckiposted 23 months agoin reply to this

That is NOT the same thing at all.

2. clivewilliams profile image82
      clivewilliamsposted 23 months agoin reply to this

you can tattoo your whole body in any color you like

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
    Michaela Osieckiposted 23 months ago

Of course not, even though race is more or less a social construct, it IS still often designated by genetically determined external factors that are a result of thousands of years of a group's evolution in a certain climate/region.

Changing your skin color doesn't change your race. Michael Jackson didn't really become a white guy because he had a pigmentation condition, just as Rachel Dolezal is not a black woman because she perms her hair and tans.

1. LoliHey profile image56
      LoliHeyposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Rachel considered herself black, and joined a black organization.  She wanted everyone to think that.  How can you change your gender but not your race?

2. clivewilliams profile image82

i think just like how you change your gender and is accepted. You can change your race

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
    bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months ago

It may only change color. lol
    Race is forever, and it comes in genetic shades of gray.
    In the past countries would have a pure race by choice. Countries like Germany, Japan, China, Africa had pure races, but over time the people of those countries played mix and match to the point that almost all possible mixes of genetics exist today around the world.
    But probably none more diverse than the US with its over 340 million people from all around the world.
    I am not sure if that is an acceptable answer for your ?, so feel free to delete.

1. clivewilliams profile image82

yeah, but people associate color with race also.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
      bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Clive
      Color is misleading, otherwise Barack Obama would be a Zebra. lol

3. clivewilliams profile image82

HE IS A ZEBRA. JUST LIKE ME

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image32
      bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Clive
      So, in that case, the classification of race is undefined? I see the similar problem in politics, as a person shouldn't be Blue or Red but Purple, as the issues are never just Blue or Red.
      So what do we do, put dots on our forehead like India?

working