jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

What are your thoughts on tattoos?

1. Jeremy Gill profile image95
    Jeremy Gillposted 8 months ago

What are your thoughts on tattoos?

I'm not morally opposed to them, but I remember reading a study on people's perception of women who have them. They're seen as less intelligent, less self-confident, and more promiscuous.

Also, some businesses are warming up to them, but many still regard them as unprofessional. Regardless of whether or not that's fair, do you believe getting a tattoo puts your career at risk?

2. poppyr profile image98
    poppyrposted 8 months ago

Depends on where and the type of tattoo. Something on your neck, face, hand, etc would be more likely to jeapordise your career than one on your thigh or back. Tattoos are fine if they're claasy or something cool smile Some artwork looks awesome.

Jeremy Gillposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I agree! To be honest, I'm not interested in getting one, but I wonder what I would do if I was; whether fear of career damage would persuade me not to (or at least to get it in a hidden area).

3. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 months ago

I think they're cool to look at, but I would never get one myself...cuz I'm a giant wuss who's terrified of needles.

Haha points for honesty!

4. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 8 months ago

You said the study was about women, do you know if the same study was done for men? I'd be interested to see if the same conclusions were drawn or if it's perhaps less about tattoos themselves and rooted in something a little more sexist.

I have three tattoos myself and would love more. I have one on each foot so both are very discreet as I need to be wearing open footwear/no shoes for them to be seen. I also have one on my wrist which can be covered by long sleeves if need be, but I've never had an issue at a job wearing short sleeves and having it visible.

I tend to be more attracted to men with tattoos, but I'd also not refuse to date someone without tattoos just as I don't think most people would refuse to date someone with tattoos even if they didn't really care for them (assuming they weren't covered head to toe with them). I think it's just a visual personal preference like any other superficial trait.

Even as someone who likes tattoos I do still look at people with tattoos on their upper neck/face and make some judgments, though I know reputable tattoo artists won't go near your face so part of that is the assumption that they went somewhere shady to get it done.

Glad to hear your thoughts! Unfortunately, the study didn't mention men, but from my own life experiences, seems women aren't turned off from their partner having tattoos as often as guys are.

5. GlendaGoodWitch profile image88
    GlendaGoodWitchposted 8 months ago

I don't like them on anyone. I am really tired of seeing graffiti on absolutely everyone

6. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 8 months ago

I like them as long as they are well done.  I have seen some nice ones on both males and females.  As for me, not a big fan of needles.

I'll admit they're a turn-off for me, but some are definitely more off-putting than others.

7. Cleo Burch profile image88
    Cleo Burchposted 8 months ago

I would love to get a lot of tattoos, honestly. I feel that when someone gets a tattoo, it should have meaning. It shouldn't be something just for the heck of it. On the flip side, I do believe that having tattoos could put your career at risk, but that also depends on where you work.

working