- Internet & the Web»
- Internet Trends & Culture
You Tube Greatest Hits Part 1
My You Tube Favourites
So here are some of my favourite you tube clips. They are not in any particular order, nor are they ranked according to hits. I guess the vid cam "Numa Numa" bloke has had more hits than Jimi Hendrix. So what does that say about taste?
Just a few notes on the clips.
1) Lasse Gjertsen is a genius at cutting and pasteing. His human beatbox is very interesting as well. Who says Sweden is boring. This clip sounds a bit Daft Punkish to me.
2) Rejected by Don Hertzfeldt apparently took years to draw and was rejected by the Family Learning Channel. The comedy is dark and satirical and gets oddly metafictional by the end. He's since gone on to paying work. Sadly this clip was removed for copyright reasons no doubt.
3) Spiders on Drugs is supposedly commissioned by the Ottawa Wildlife board. I love it because it starts so straight and gets more and more hilarious. The script and narration are spot on.
4) The Flight of the Conchords are from New Zealand. They call themselves 'folk parodists'. They are extremely irreverent and funny in a 'we're kinda sad' way. They made an eponymous TV series. Apparently, the second season is out soon. There are lots of their clips on You Tube.
5) This is kind of shocking. Are these prisoners having their human rights abused or are they getting something out of it? Perhaps Guantanamo Bay could use a similar make over. Have they paid any licencing fee to Michael for this I wonder.
6) In my opinion the theramin could be Soviet Russia's greatest contribution to world culture. The world's first electronic instrument and still its strangest. Playing air is a hard feat. The musician has the vocal track of Gnarls Barkley and does strange and wonderful things with it.
7) Jimi Hendrix played Woodstock first in the wee hours of the morning and second on Sunday afternoon when everybody was leaving. Those who left before this performance missed something special. Not only an iconoclastic moment satirising American patriotism (he imitates bomb noises with his guitar), but also a revelatory performance by a guitar genius and great show man. He goes straight into 'Purple Haze' afterwards. If only I could have been there.
8) Only discovered this gem of idiocy and lack of talent after watching the hilarious South Park Episode entitled 'Canada On Strike'. I hope that his subsequent TV appearances have earned him some money and allowed him to move out of his mum's house and get some mates.
So there is the first installment of my You Tube greatest hits. If you like what you saw and have some more jewels of video clip bizarreness please leave me notes, links, titles or URLs in the comment box.
Youtube greatest Hits 2 is now available for your enjoyment!
Spiders on Drugs - Dr Peter Witt
Business Time - The Flight of the Conchords
Thriller - CPDRC inmates - Philippine prison inmates
Crazy - on the theramin
Jimi Hendrix - The Star Spangled Banner live at Woodstock
Numa Numa - some sad, fat dude
The Original Soundtrack. A must for any music collection
More You Tube Greatest Hits
- Youtube Greatest Hits 3
Here is my third list of Youtube hits. Some have millions of hits, some just a few thousand. What are the clips have in common is a certain kind of excellence. Alll the video clips are either interesting,...
- You Tube Greatest Hits Part 2
So here it is after a long delay and too many hours spent wandering around the endless labyrinth that is Youtube. So much to choose from. The following selection is just some of my favourites. I've tried to...
more present suggestions
- Don't know what to get your smart friend for their birthday?
There's always someone that you know who is really difficult to buy a present for because they have a sharp and critical tongue which often makes you laugh when they are ridiculing someone or something; but...
Thinking of taking a winter holiday?
- Thong Nai Pan Magazine
This is an ezine about the beautiful beaches of Thong Nai Pan on the tropical island of Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand. Included is information about accommodation, property, bars and restaurants, events, diving, Thai massage and travel. There i