Which next generation console is more superior?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wadey101mposted 15 years ago

I'm looking to buy a new console, but am not sure which one is the best to buy. I've been continuously told how great Xbox live is, how fantastic the Ps3's blue ray player is and how fun the Wii is. With the funds to only get one, it's a little difficult to choose.

2. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

Well first of all the Wii is not what you'd call a next gen console, maybe in it's timing but graphically and feature wise it's not on par with the 360 or PS3, it is however the "non-gamer's" console and so it's done really well in the shops.

You're right about the 360 having a good online community but then again that's pales into comparison with the PC's online community and the Playstation one is catching up and best of all is free!

Most new games come out on 360 and PS3 sometimes within a few months of eachother but thankfully they're getting simulatneous releases now (like Grand Theft Auto etc).

As someone who has played on all three before buying one myself I went with the PS3 as I was more interested in the BluRay aspect for movies (I watch alot of them big_smile) plus it's the cheapest BlurRay player out plus you won't need to replace it because of updates being downloaded all the time smile  I don't know why Microsoft is so against the new standard format, maybe because they're heavily invested in downloadable content, my internet provider would have a fit if I started downloading HD movies all the day long so that wasn't an option for me.

I had also heard about the high chance of 360s needing to be sent back to the manufacturer, with my firend having to send back one arcade, two premium and two eltie consoles since gettign one way back when they first came out.  Plus it's possible for me to plug a USB stick in the front of my PS3 and play movies downloaded from the internet/my phone or music or family photos.

So all in all the PS3 offered a complete home entertainment solution for me and whilst it's bloody huge it has saved me getting an extra DVD player, Music player, BluRay player and so it's all in one (albeit large) black box.

I've enjoyed playing on all three of the consoles though so don't think I'm bigging the PS3 up and putting the others down as I'd be happy with any one of them for just gaming, but I will say that with the PS3 you get everything in one box, with a 360 you'd have to buy a wireless internet adaptor to stick in the back, you may have to pay (unreasonably high prices) for their bespoke hard drives and in some cases pay extra for wireless controllers and charging kits.

If you're looking for an all-in-one device I'd recommend the PS3 smile

Hope that helps

3. Dave82689 profile image60
    Dave82689posted 15 years ago

Personally I like all the online abilities of the Xbox 360, and really I am just a xbox kinda guy. smile

4. britneydavidson profile image60
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

well i have nintendo wii and i used to have ps3..then i sold it and bought new nintendo wii which is really nice and very good..check my hub for more wii regarding information...

5. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Its simple

the Wii is not next gen (although still fun) it's aimed at the "casual gamer"

PS3 has the best spec, but due to stupidity on Sonys behalf, it's very expensive thanks to the bluray dvd player, and also the hardest to program for. It had limited exclusive titles and had a poor range of games.They crash, a lot and the WiFi doesn't like long range.

xbox 360 has a great spec but not quite as good as the PS3 (yet strangely I'm waiting for the PS3 better spec to really wow me with it's graphics, the 360 does so much better with its cheaper spec) because it has been around for longer has a massive amount of games, some of the exclusives are amazing (fable) and its now cheap!

The Wii is good for fun.

The PS3 is good for a paper weight.

The 360 (elite) is the only one worth considering.

Get the 360 elite.

Or a PC gaming rig smile

6. Junkster profile image61

I haven't had any games crash on me on my PS3, apart from Assassin's Creed but maybe my PS3 was doing me a favour as that game was tedious and repetitious, plus that got solved in a matter of days as a system update got released.

Another thing, system updates are released as and when they are needed and often even mundane updates add cool stuff like recently a new photo album program that's really good at organizing family photos, previous to that there's been Playstation Home (which along with the Wii Miis the xbox ripped off) and a world news program where you spun a globe to see the news from that part of the world.  Not to everyone's taste but I like the wide range of abilities being added to the console.

The only console I have known to crash is the 360, try googling RRoD or Red Ring of Death!  I can't remember the exact percentage but the failure rate of 360s is stupidly high for such an extreme purchase.

Also after you raise the 360 to the same specs as the PS3 (wireless internet, hard drive etc) the 360 works out around £100 more expensive, as well as the rolling subscription to xbox live every year.

Not trying to big the PS3 up but there's a lot of misconceptions about it's price, reliability and scope of features.  Also exclusives all get bought up by Microsoft and their millions anyway (I just wish they'd throw as much money at the Zune as they do in grabbing exclusives)  I'm looking forward to the next Uncharted game, as for a launch title the original was amazing and beautiful to look at!

7. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

yeah I won't deny that the 360 crashes (a lot) and yes I have suffered from the ring of death, but when I bought a PS3 it crashed within 3 mins of turning it on. On 2 different games. Took it back, guy n the shop said it must be faulty. I went through 3 more before they eventually agreed to refund me. I can be unlucky, but not that unlucky!

Yes you have to pay for xbox live, but you ask anyone who uses xbox live if they mind having to pay a small amount of money for so much entertainment! plus it means they are always adding stuff and improving it, because they have a source of revenue.

The thing with the 360 and PS3 is the same as the Mitsubishi Evo vs Subaru Impreza, there's so little between them that it's down to what you prefer, yet the rivalry between fan boys is huge!!

The only other thing I'd say against the PS3 is the controller. I admit I hated the original big xbox controller, the smaller one and the 360 one is perfect. The PS3 controller is scarily Light! It weighs less than an original PS controller. I couldn't get on with it! (again, personal opinion!)

8. Junkster profile image61

I think the arguement for xbox live being a superior service is fast becoming a moot point, I've had no problems outside of my own wireless network being pants, as well as playing games on the PC via Steam and the online experience was no different from playing on the xbox at my mate's house.

I admit whe I bought my one it was a bit wobbly but like all tech gadgets I buy or computer parts, I looked for updates like I'd look for driver updates and sure enough the console came with an update disc, also there had been an even later update over the network and that solved a load of problems.  I don't know whethe ryou had done that before returning yours as I know I was really tempted to do so myself when it came out of the box running so poorly.

But without payment, sonyt keep updating the PS3, at times many times a month but I'd prefer them doing this, like windows updates, as soon as they're done rather than the 360 updating once or twice a year at set times.  Why does a company like microsoft provide updates for windows instantly (security etc) but leave problems with their home consoles months to frustrate owners.

If I'd spent that ammount of money on a console I expect it to work, and not have a known failure rate, that's bad design and has hurt a lot of my friends who have since ditched 360s in favour of gaming PCs and PS3s which are much more reliable.

I admit I hated the original controller, far too light, it felt cheap but quickly sold them and bought the (proper) controller with vibration support, they feel much better, still lighter than the PS2s one but just right.  I have a 360 controller for my PC and I had to crack it open the first day I got it to fix a problem with the D-Pad, again not something I should have to do (but I'm not sending the controller all the way back to USA for a replacement/repairs)

I like the Evo/Impreza analogy, very true. big_smile

9. profile image0
    AngryITChickposted 15 years ago

I think the Xbox is intended for the more tech savy.  You know, people who know that if that power supply heats up you're gonna get four red rings, or if you don't properly secure your connection for xboxlive some little bastard may very well hack your system and voila, red ring occurrs.  Luckily red ring is covered for three years.  I have no beef with PS3 it's just not the gaming experience I want each machine has pros and cons whether it be price, graphics or games.

1. Junkster profile image61
      Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd say the 360 was more geared towards the "ranty consumer" who is always writing angry emails to companies for broken products, just think with a 360 and it's red rings they'll have hours of fun writing yet another disgruntled letter! big_smile

2. profile image0
      Wadey101mposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Reliability is always important, when you pay so much of your hard earned cash on something new, you expect it to last for a while. The reports and complaints I've heard about the Red Ring of Death on the Xbox 360 made me sway more towards the PS3.

10. Bruce Bostwick profile image71
    Bruce Bostwickposted 15 years ago

What games are you into exactly?  I've never had issues with an Xbox 360 or any console.  Don't have the PS3, can't afford it yet and would like to get the Wii but can't find it anywhere.  It really comes down to what you're looking for in a console.

1. profile image0

It was a little difficult to choose the console on this. All the games that I love are on all formats, with the few exceptions such as Halo and Metal Gear Solid, so I will try and consider the few differences. I've also been told that the graphics for the multi-format games are better on the PS3!

1. Bruce Bostwick profile image71
        Bruce Bostwickposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Graphics are nice from seeing at the stores.  I've never had a PS3 so I couldn't really tell you one way or the other on that.  I may get one in the future but right now it's on in the cards mainly due to having some more important matters to take care of.  I'd also like to get the Wii as I like to have a variety of systems but that's just me.

11. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

PS3 hands down, I have had minimal problems as yet with the console (getting online lol). The bluray does it for me.

12. wanone profile image60
    wanoneposted 15 years ago

Hehe..i think..Nitendo WII 2..hhehe..maybe..

1. profile image0

They are excellent fun! My cousin has one and its a clever bit of kit, just shame about the graphics! Will defo consider one in the future as they are so cheap!

13. profile image0
    Wadey101mposted 15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice.

As a result, I have decided to buy the Playstation! and in my opinion I think I've made the right choice, have had no problems at all apart from the lighter wallet! I guess the main reasons are its potential and what its achieved so far. Yes I must admit the Xbox is a very good system, and I was so close to getting one, however its reliability issues I've read along with its 'Add on' attitude, let me down. The Playstation I believe will one day dominate the online gaming side of things, due to the increasing sales and the fact that you guys say that its free (Excellent bonus :-). I have also had a good look into the games that are already and what are soon to be released, yes the Xbox has the larger range, but the Playstation seem to have better quality games, that I can see myself replaying. And with the prices of the games being the around the same, it seems more worth it on the PS3. The Blueray will fantastic for me, as I love my films, and knowing that they won the format war, means that even if the gaming side lets the PS3 down then at least I have a Blueray player!
    Bless the wii though, I did give it some thought. But the amount of things you can do with the 'next gen' consoles just out weigh it. I have had a go of one, and will probably get one in the future due to how fun and different it is! They did extremely well there, bringing in the non gamers, women and children into the industry.
    It was a difficult choice, I have got both the PS2 and Xbox, and was so close to getting the Xbox 360 due to its predecessor. Hey and maybe one day when I have the cash, I'll get all three, just to have all bases covered.

Thanks again guys, everything you said really helped! big_smile

14. wanone profile image60
    wanoneposted 15 years ago

I think that will be psp2..hehe..more powerfull handy games device..big_smile

15. mulder profile image67
    mulderposted 15 years ago

Nothing beats the ps3  when you have a plasma tv   and a yamaha amp and its all connected  by hmdi    the  picture  and  graphics and sound is truelly amazing  I have call of duty 4 modern combat   it beats any game   console  by far     .

16. Junkster profile image61

I've not been a fan of nintendo consoles but the funny thing is I always think they're a good idea and then as soon as I have a go I just lose interest.

I had a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis for those in US) and only ever wanted to play Marios Bros 3 on the SNES, emulators later let me play that on my PC, My ps2, my PSP, my DS!

I played on the 64 in a bar on holiday in spain when I was a kid, basically playing mario kart against other kids and hated the copntroller, so uncomfortable!

Just like the gamecubes controller, uncomfortable again but we used to play that all the time at uni for mario golf! our whole house would play that whilst drunk and the god awful, offensively chirpy music blasting must've given me a headache but we were all laughing maniacally!

I bought the gamecube solely for the metal gear solid remake and then sold it.

I bought a ds lite before christmas and genuinely loved the games I played on it but never really played it that much, hence it's now on ebay at the moment!

The Wii has never interested me as a personal purchase, sure playing the bowling around at a friends house is fun for a little bit but the "gimmick" of waving a stick around quickly grows tiresome.

Apart from Wario Ware, that's another hilarious game to play!

So I guess I'm just not a nintendo gamer, sure there's plenty who dislike the other consoles for similar reasons. big_smile

17. jekkels profile image56
    jekkelsposted 15 years ago

I think the wii was made to target audiences of all age groups.
    The xbox and the PS3 are for serious gamers

18. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

I sell all three major consoles on ebay, so i get to play with them for the week before they sell, I am always most impressed by the ps3.

The Wii, is a very unique console though, as it actually creates an atmosphere where people and families play together, unlike the ps3 or xbox360 where most gamers just hide in their caves and at best play online with other gamers who are hiding in their caves

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

sorry i said "very unique"...must have been tired, happens to be one of my pet peeves..never say very unique..yuck

19. rambo87 profile image60
    rambo87posted 15 years ago

yes the wii is a unique console but still at a primative stage I feel. I don't think it will be long before this type of console is progressed in terms of graphics and gameplay.

20. ChrisSnil profile image61
    ChrisSnilposted 15 years ago

I've always been a fan of the Playstation consoles, so chose to buy a PS3 instead of a 360. The games look amazing on a big screen, looking forward to several upcoming titles - such as God of War 3 smile

21. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

OMG, there wasn't a crusade to convert someone here.. wink I miss the 16-Bit console wars.

The Wii is Gamecube 2.5
    The X-Box 360 and the PS3 have a lot of good points..I personally like the 360 the most.

In the end, my advice is not to look at what has the "best" hardware. The Sega Genesis/MegaDrive was better than the SNES. But in the end, the SNES barely won the 16-bit war because of games.

So...ask yourself what kind of games you like to play, handle the controllers of all three major platforms, and go from there.

Peace.

G|M

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)