What cell phone carrier do you use?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

What do you like/dislike about them? I'm in the market for a new service provider.

1. atechwiz profile image65
      atechwizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Currently I am with Sprint.  The only real positive with them is they are probably the most affordable of the big carriers.  The negatives are that their coverage where I live is poor.  I am in Phoenix and they do not even have 4G service here.  They also do not have as much phone selection as some of the other carriers.  I did pick up a Tracfone for my daughter and it is great if you don't need to use it constantly.

2. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Virgin Mobile has good plans if you have coverage in your area. Their 3g- 4g smartphones work pretty good. Compared to US Cellular they have cheaper rates IMO. You have to buy the smartphone, but should recoup the difference in the plans.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

You won't like it, but....

I use tracfone, and am happy.  Service everywhere and it costs me less than $10 a month.  Of course, I use it very little and don't go online.  I doubt I use 100 minutes per month

My wife's phone, used as a "house phone", is from straight talk - $35 per month for 1,000 minutes, which we never use.  We don't surf with that one, either.  The only problem is that the phone itself isn't very good quality - she's had two and we didn't like either one much.

Coupled with those is a cordless phone set with 4 handsets that will bluetooth to the cell phones.  Don't need or have a landline that way, although we do get internet via DSL.  Come home, plug the cell in and leave it alone; with 4 handsets scattered there is no reason to carry the cell everywhere in the house and we never have to look for it.

1. NotPC profile image58
      NotPCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm mainly looking for a wireless service that doesn't act like only rednecks and retards use basic phones anymore. Smartphones are much too fragile to be a part of my life. Does tracphone offer any sturdy basic phones?

1. Missy Mac profile image68
        Missy Macposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used Virgin Mobile and spent  close to a $100 on the Rumor Touch.  Initially, I was excited, but practically no coverage at home.  I didn't save the receipt and now stuck with a phone which is useless (for making calls).  However, its great for keeping information and taking pictures.

3. SimplifyingLife profile image40
    SimplifyingLifeposted 11 years ago

I have had Sprint, MetroPCS, and am now with Verizon Wireless. As a worker for a cellphone store, I would like to add my expertise in the matter. I will not show any bias for any carrier including my employer, MetroPCS.

I found Sprint to be a very good choice as far as Unlimited everything with data included. The only problem is that the coverage was not the best and 4G was spotty. When inside a house, the 4G was not available in particular areas such as the basement.

MetroPCS is a very affordable carrier that has grown a lot in the past years. MetroPCS is considered a prepaid carrier which works in the customers' favor. Like Sprint everything is unlimited including data. Because MetroPCS is a prepaid carrier, they don't like to charge extra for overages, thus the unlimited plans. The cons of this carrier are that the phones are retail priced. New account or existing, the phone prices are the same in most cases. Coverage is actually pretty but like Sprint, some spots become spotty.

Verizon Wireless so far is one of my favorite carriers as far as service. I have never had a problem with them as far as coverage or service but they are highly priced. The plans are not unlimited for data. Currently, I have unlimited everything on my phone apart from data which is limited to 4GB and $15 for any GB over (hint - if you are about to go over, it cost only $10 more to get two more GB if you switch your plan. I recommend calling to switch to a higher plan in this case).

If you have any questions on any of the questions, please feel free to contact me.

4. PDXBuys profile image80
    PDXBuysposted 11 years ago

I use Cricket with a basic Samsung phone.  They are cheap, reliable, and predictable.  Unlimited national calling and no contract!

5. larakern profile image68
    larakernposted 11 years ago

I have a blackberry (I'm actually thinking about updating to an adroid) with metro pcs. I know that the blackberry is kind of outdated and doesn't have as many apps as android or iphone 5 but I've had my phone for over two years. Everything still works perfectly... I've actually been terrible to this poor phone too.. Its been at the bottom of a river, dumped in a variety of drinks, thrown on the ground, thrown down stairs, stepped on, hit, smacked, and just basically abused... Its probably one of the best phones that I have ever bought.

1. SimplifyingLife profile image40
      SimplifyingLifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I loved my Blackberry too. It goes through everything with you.

1. larakern profile image68
        larakernposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they really do. All of my friends and family have either androids or iphones and my blackberry has outlived and out preformed all of them, haha.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could say my previous two or three Blackberries had been that sturdy. One just got splashed on (nothing huge) and was kaput. One got dropped & was a goner (not a huge drop, either).  I'm happy others have found Blackberries to hold up - I did enjoy them; just kept killing them off. Finally switched to the iPhone & I love it. I got the iPhone 5 recently, when Walmart had a cheap deal, and it's great. I'd have been happy to keep my iPhone 4, but the sale was too good to pass up.

For the carrier, I'm on AT&T - very happy with it. I'd had a bill for more than $700 from Sprint several years ago - I was with a dying relative in the ICU, in another city & the minutes added up. Had I been on my current plan, that would never have happened - I always have rollover minutes. It's also easy to save money by getting the cheapest data plan and using wifi wherever you go. Finally, I got a free texting app and got rid of the charges for texting.  So I'm a happy camper.

6. Rpenafiel profile image62
    Rpenafielposted 10 years ago

AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint as long as they do work with the GSM technology for wireless communication it will surely work with my sturdy Just5 phone. It’s cheap and it is very easy to use, got that open SIM/Unlocked feature with multi band connectivity, pop-in my SIM and voila, works like a charm. Smartphone is way too complex for me.

7. martin321 profile image58
    martin321posted 10 years ago

I am on Vodafone and very happy with their services.
    Their 3G services are just brilliant and have a good coverage area. Everything is available on their website, so I don't have to search for their local stores.

8. Samith Jhon profile image59
    Samith Jhonposted 10 years ago

I am currently on Verizon Wireless. I am quite pleased with the carrier as I have only had one time where I don't have signal. I also don't ever drop any calls except when calling friends on AT&T but they are the ones that dropped it. I currently have a Motorola Droid x2.

9. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Tracfone. It's cheap, it's easy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)