jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is some good advice for someone shopping for a new cell phone plan?

1. Robie Benve profile image98
    Robie Benveposted 4 years ago

What is some good advice for someone shopping for a new cell phone plan?

2. Same DiNamics profile image61
    Same DiNamicsposted 4 years ago

I would say, think about what you want to use your cell phone for. Are you going to use it to have for just in cases of emergency? Will it be replacing your land line? Will you use it for business purposes as well as personal use? Does your budget allow for a plan that includes unlimited everything that can cost you well over $100 a month for just one phone or are you limited?

Depending on your answer to these, there are pre-paid plans that will get you a phone to keep you connected for just in case of emergencies and there are plans that are unlimited everything.

Definitely shop around to the various cell phone providers to see which gives you the best bang for your buck.

Also, if you're gonna go with a smartphone, go with Android. Android based phones keep you connected to everything. Google has great ways to keeping all you use connected as one, from gmail, to Google drive, to your Google calendar, to Google+ and more. But then again, I am a tadbit biased and love Google for everything.

3. jonathanago profile image83
    jonathanagoposted 4 years ago

Use these factors:
    Do you talk alot?
    Do you text alot?
    Do you use the Internet alot?
    Do you need the latest phone?
    What can you afford?

If you are frugal, then a prepaid plan is best. If you have cash to spare, then a contract is ok. Phone Contracts are highway robbery, I refuse to have them anymore.

4. internpete profile image89
    internpeteposted 4 years ago

As others have sort of mentioned already, you need to ask yourself two questions: How much do you ant to spend, and how much will you use the phone.

If you are willing to spend a lot, go with a contract phone, if you are not willing to spend too much, prepaid is a good option. If you talk a lot, unlimited prepaid might be a good option. If you don't talk much and just need bare minimum, a pay as you go prepaid phone will be the cheapest.

I have a few hubs about Tracfone, which is a super cheap and simple prepaid cell phone company, so let me know if this is something you are looking for.

5. bridalletter profile image80
    bridalletterposted 4 years ago

Coverage truly works in your area, understand limitations on internet and minutes. Unlimited on any of it is best when the cost is acceptable.
    Think about your needs:
    Internet usage or data plan (small amount to unlimited) Some allow unlimited 4G or a limit and then it switches to a slower 2 or 3G speed or they charge overages. This is an important part to be clear on or it can cost hundreds of dollars extra.
    Need for records and whether you can personally access them or obtain them (often a subpoena is actually required to obtain records).
    Family sharing minutes plans and Family tracking - fees related to everything you want.
    WIFI, how much it reduces your minutes or costs or improves your coverage in buildings or just at home.
    Those are just a few, but important ones.

6. Jlbowden profile image91
    Jlbowdenposted 4 years ago

Some important things to consider are, the area you will be using the plan in the most.  For example T-mobile while a great carrier, works much better and caters to areas in the South, such as Fla.  Where as in N.Y. For example you will not get as good as coverage, which can result in more dropped calls.  AT&T and Verizon, I find work the best in the Northeastern Territory  but this may also vary from individual to individual.

Also do you want an unlimited pre-paid plan, or one which you will be opted to sign a 2 yer contract for...let's say, if you sign up for a Verizon family plan.  Sometimes you will save more money on a bundled family plan.  But if you're single and don't talk a lot, then try Net 10's monthly 750 minute plan.  This is $30.00/month & the minutes you do not use carry over into next month.  So as you see, there are many options, as well as many questions to consider before purchasing one particular cell phone plan.

7. mrpip profile image62
    mrpipposted 4 years ago

Before even concerning yourself with the actual cell phone plan, make sure teh cellular operator you are considering has good coverage in your area and the aeras you plan to be in most of the time. Then start analyzing the different plans and find the one that is right for you.