Links to subdomain, indexing, serp, google rank

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

From what I can tell, might be wrong, your subdomain is linked when you comment on hubs, questions, and forums, in addition to backlinks placed outside hubpages and if you put an rss feed on your blog, etc. I'm wondering, particularly, if and how the links through commenting on hubs, forum, and questions affect indexing, search engine results page, and google rank of your subdomain.

1. brianrock profile image84
      brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All of those actions create links between other subdomains (or the main HubPages domain with the forum) and your subdomain. While there's no simple way to state or measure the affect of a single link, these links in the aggregate should help improve the authority of your subdomain and therefore help your hubs rank better.

In the long term, all of these links will help raise the PageRank of your profile page and your subdomain. Once your articles are published, they'll be linked to from your subdomain, and they'll receive some link juice from there. I've checked a few subdomains and found PageRanks ranging from 2 to 4. It follows that (all other things being equal) an article published on a subdomain with PageRank 4 would outperform an article on a subdomain with PageRank 2, which would outperform an article on a subdomain (or another website) with PageRank 1 or 0.

All other things rarely are equal, so it's hard to make absolute statements like that. But, I'd still stand by the general statement that activity in the HubPages community increases the strength of your subdomain which in turn helps provide strength to your Hubs in the SERPs.

As far as indexing goes... all of those links will lead Google's crawler back to your subdomain. So in theory, yes, that should improve the crawling rate of your subdomain if it was low for some reason.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does    : doFollowButtons = false;   mean this page has nofollow tags?

It's all over the source code...

1. Techstuff profile image57
          Techstuffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your hubpage link via your profile name above is Dofollow.

2. brianrock profile image84
          brianrockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope.

When you look at the actual links, there is no "rel=nofollow" attribute applied to them. So the links are most definitely followed. It would be silly, SEO-wise, for HubPages to nofollow them anyway. The links are all contained within the larger HubPages domain; it's just being shuffled around. By being active, you're basically getting a larger share of the HubPages PageRank/LinkJuice pool than inactive members. Nofollow is better used for external links that you can't vouch for (i.e. comments on a blog to external websites).

The "doFollowButtons" is a Javascript function. It seems to activate the "Follow" button on your profile. The Follow button doesn't actually go anywhere, but clicking on it triggers a Javascript function that makes you follow that person. It makes sense semantically, too, since "doFollowButtons" would seem to mean "Make the Follow Button Do Something."

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's why I ask; I'm still a real novice at most of the web.

Thanks for the invo.

1. Techstuff profile image57
              Techstuffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Use firefox with this plugin.  Will help.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo … odofollow/

Highlights do follow links blue, nofollow red.

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that detailed response, and it all makes sense; I had forgotten that hubs would be linked to subdomain when they're published; yes, I've noticed that too. It makes sense that all of these links are having this kind of effect, I'm seeing what you're saying. It's a bit of a complex web of links, and I find it fascinating, and I also think it's valuable to understand how it works.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)