Large space after Amazon ad in Wordpress post ... HELP!!!! :(

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 11 years ago

When I insert an amazon ad in my wordpress.org post, it creates several inches of space after. So far I only put them at the end of the post because of this, yet there’s still huge space between the ad and the comment section, etc. I’ve been asking around and not getting anywhere. I even asked Amazon directly and they said to ask in Wordpess forums, etc, which I already have. I'm posting everywhere I can think of. Can someone PLEASE help me???

Here’s an example. Look for the ad at the bottom of the post.

http://blissfulmiss.com/develop-good-habits/

This is the code I have inserted.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wordpress is annoying because it often "cleans up" code pasted straight into a post, so your affiliate link comes out wrong and won't align correctly etc etc.  A plugin really is the best answer.   I don't use Amazon much, because I am an eBay affiliate and I find it works better.  However I've tried this one in the past:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/amazon-pro … st-plugin/

If you're reviewing products, it's worth going for this one instead:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/author-hreview/

1. profile image0
        Jennifer Sucheyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes. I had already forgotten about the pluggin option. I will try that next. Thanks for the links to specific ones to try.

2. profile image0

Marissa, I tried the first plugin you gave me, which is set up a lot like another one I've tried and I had the same results with. I put the ad code into the "box" they give you, and nothing happens. The ad doesn't appear. I don't know if it's another issue with my theme or what. I'll try the other plugin, though.

2. profile image0

Well, after discussion with a moderator on the wordpress.org forum, he has determined that there is a bug in the theme I'm using. He did a test site with that theme, inserted the same kind of Amazon ad and it did the same thing.

So unless he or someone else figures out a fix for it, I have to either change my theme or include my ads in a different format.

Thanks for all your help.

I see you're using a theme by OneDesigns.  He's a good designer - I've used a couple of his themes.  It would be worth emailing him to tell him about the bug, he will probably fix it!

You really do need a plugin, though - one of the reasons there's a demand for plugins is that Amazon's ads often have problems when pasted directly into a post.  The hreview one is especially good because it lets you award star ratings to products too.

A couple of tips -

Think about including some navigation in your sidebar, perhaps a "latest posts" or a "popular posts".   

You need a "Home" button in your top menu.

You're unlikely to sell anything with those Amazon ads. Individual Amazon ads only sell if you give people a reason to buy (like, for instance, reviewing the product).   Consider an Adsense skyscraper instead, or join up to an affiliate network like ShareASale to find merchants you can deal with direct.

1. profile image0

Yes, I'm working on getting a different ad up in my sidebar. I had Adsense ads up but hated that I couldn't control the product or the look. Those Amazon ads are only temporary. I already signed up with a couple of others. I think ShareASale was one. I just haven't had time to go beyond sign up and figure out an ad to place there.

The Wordpress guy I've even talking to have me a code to put in the CSS thing to fix my problem. There's no space now. In fact, the a is now smashed up against the "Like it" section, but we've made progress! I will email OneDesign and let them know. I have posted about my problem there more than once with no help though.

2. profile image0

Yes, I'm working on getting a different ad up in my sidebar. I had Adsense ads up but hated that I couldn't control the product or the look. Those Amazon ads are only temporary. I already signed up with a couple of others. I think ShareASale was one. I just haven't had time to go beyond sign up and figure out an ad to place there.

The Wordpress guy I've even talking to have me a code to put in the CSS thing to fix my problem. There's no space now. In fact, the a is now smashed up against the "Like it" section, but we've made progress! I will email OneDesign and let them know. I have posted about my problem there more than once with no help though.

The trouble with inserting code into the CSS is that you'll have to remember to do it again, every time you update your theme.  And as you've found, changing or inserting something can have catastrophic effects elsewhere, which you probably don't have enough knowledge to fix - so it can make things worse instead of better!

Better to avoid tinkering with the code altogether - which a plugin will do for you. Personally I dislike the look of Amazon's own ad code anyway.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

When you created your post, did you use the html editor or the visual editor?  HTML is what you should be using when you insert code.  Also, at the end of the code, place your cursor and delete any additional spacing.  This should clear up the white space issue.

1. profile image0

Yes, I place the code in the html editor. Otherwise it just shows up as html. I see the ad after it's placed. And there is no white space after the html code when I look at it in the editor.

You got anything else??? wink

3. bestcattree profile image73
    bestcattreeposted 11 years ago

When you are in the html editor and you hold the down arrow key how far down below the html for the add does it go? Is there any space there? If there is space there erase it up to the last character in your add code that way there is no spaces after the code. I'm sorry if this does not help and it is not meant to insult you. I just think there may be a few empty lines after the add. Let me know how that works out.

1. profile image0

There are no extra spaces in editor mode, but thanks for trying. wink

4. Radcliff profile image69
    Radcliffposted 11 years ago

I'll give you my perspective from personal experience: those boxes don't work very well, anyway. In order to sell a product, you'll do much better to write a few sentences on why your reader should make the purchase. Use anchor text, like the title of the book for example, to create a link to the Amazon page. While you're in Amazon on the product you want to sell, click on the "text only" tab. insert the anchor text in box #1, then copy and paste that link and add it to your html screen. This will lead to a much higher chance of conversion.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your input. My goal has been to include the product within the content, but haven't been able to because of this problem. I will think about doing it the way you suggest, though. I think "text only" would probably work, but I really do like the "image with text" icon. I can get the "image only" option to work fine. It's just the "image with text" one that causes me issues. I'll check out your site for an example, assuming I can go to your HP profile and click on a link to your site.

1. profile image0

Okay, I see what you mean now. You're not talking about pasting in Amazon's text ad to your post. You're talking about creating a link to it just like you would when creating a link to another hub or website within your regular content. I will think about that, too. Thanks so much for your suggestion.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can also grab a larger image of the product you want to promote and link directly to the image with your affiliate info.  Just remember to add a call to action.

5. bestcattree profile image73

Apparently I don't read other peoples comments correctly Lol. Sorry about the duplicate answer.

6. bestcattree profile image73

What about about using a plugin to insert the ad ? Perhaps check the height of the code? It will look something like height: 240px or try adding some text just below it maybe a sentence or some underscores. On a site I own using that type of add I have words underneath mine and it displays correctly.

7. bestcattree profile image73

Maybe Try adding     Written by Jennifer Suchey © 2013    Under the Add

1. profile image0

bestcattree, when I put text below the ad, it is several inches below it. I initially couldn't even figure out how to get the ad in the post at all without showing up as html text. I thought maybe I had to have a pluggin and tried a few, which confused me further. Finally someone pointed out I needed to be in the "text editor" to add the html code. Then it started working, except adding the space. However, at this point, maybe a pluggin would be the answer to my problems. I finally have a moderator at the wordpress.org forum trying to help me. If he can't figure it out, I may try a pluggin or two to see if I can get it to work that way.

1. Cardisa profile image92
        Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I usually use a theme which has built-in ad space in place of coding, this way I don't have to paste the ad on the content page and they are in the header, sidebars and footer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)