What Do You Think of Windows 7

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 53 discussions (63 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wag The Dogposted 14 years ago

So far, I like what I have seen and heard about the new Windows 7.  But what do you think?  Is it worth all the hype?

I thought that I would like XP, but I don't.  Will Windows 7 be the cure?

1. Karina S. profile image59
      Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been using it for 2 weeks and i like it, but i am not an expert.

1. technocrates profile image59
        technocratesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think my hub will help you out...and helps you to take the decision:
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Windows-7-is-it-worth-to-go-for

2. Cirdon profile image59
    Cirdonposted 14 years ago

I ran the Windows 7 release candidate for about six months (and my husband now runs the release version of Win7 Professional), and in my experience, as far as Windows OSes go, it's fantastic. It's actually the first version of Windows that I've seen that has actually been ready to go and runs well on release day (as opposed to running basically half-finished until at least Service Pack 1).

Compatibility was never an issue. If it ran on Vista, it ran on 7, and if something didn't run natively, Microsoft has released program that comes with Professional and Ultimate that allows for it to run (XP virtual mode). This worked both with software (of which we were running even the ancient game Age of Empires II, albeit not the best quality in the world, thanks to the game itself not supporting the graphics capabilities of modern computers, but still very much playable) and drivers (of which I had stuff from several companies that made it clear they had no plans to write Win7 drivers until either it came out or there was enough demand for them).

Win7 also does away with the "Playskool" look that XP had and is even, in my opinion, a step up from the visual look of Vista (I'm pretty sure the GUI programmers of Win7 played with Windows Presentation Foundation). It also has a resource footprint more comparable to XP than what Vista had. It still takes some more resources, thanks to the Desktop Window Manager (which can be killed to about the same end as Explorer), plus Explorer running, but is still nowhere near the resource hog that Vista was. (To give you an idea, my sister has a computer that is on the lower end of requirements for Vista and it showed...it ran like a dog. We upgraded (upgrade install, not fresh, mind you) her to Win7 and saw a hugely noticeable difference in performance.)

And, just so you don't think I'm some sort of Windows fangirl after all this gushing, I'm not. I actually despise Microsoft as a company and currently exclusively run Linux on my primary computer. However, as I said, as Microsoft OSes go, this one is probably their best yet. It's not likely to convert people from Apple or Linux (especially if they converted away from Windows because of experience), but it will definitely fare more like Win2000 did and be an OS that actually has some longevity to it, as opposed to the embarrassing flops that were WinME and Vista.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Having used Win7 on a friends computer several times now, I find it very fast and clean. I think it is the best ever from MS.

4. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

I hosted a Windows 7 launch party and received and installed Windows 7 Ulitimate (for free).  I am not too technically inclined when it comes to computers, but I can say that it was a breeze to upgrade from Vista.  So far, I have had no problems and I like the look and ease of use very much.

It's actually been easier for me to create my hubs with it's "snap" feature, allowing you to work with two windows side by side. I do that to copy and paste from Word right into my hubs and elsewhere.  I also like being able to "pin" frequently used programs or files to the taskbar. It has a lot of other "fun" features which are cool, but completely unnecessary.

So far it's a big thumbs up for me.  Of course, it doesn't hurt that it was free.  Not sure if the benefits are worth the $219 it would cost for this OS - had I not received it for free I would probably have waited quite a while until the price drops or I'm ready for a new computer.

5. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

I bought a new laptop with Windows 7 and I love the look and speed.  It is fast.  My Vista on my desktop is slow compared to this OS.  It also has a lot of great features.  The only problem I have is that my printers won't load to Windows 7 so I have to use the desktop to print.  That kinda sucks, but I love the laptop and the Windows system.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Check the printer website they may have a Windows 7 driver to download and install

6. Brian Leighton profile image55
    Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

I think it is a step in the right direction after the Vista failure.

I am running 3 versions of Windows (XP, Vista & 7) currently and Windows 7 is by far the fastest and can really take advantage of the latest hardware developments. However, as with Vista, 3rd party manufacturers are slow to support with native Windows 7 drivers.

7. cmstretton profile image61
    cmstrettonposted 14 years ago

Hi

I have used Windows 7 in an enterprise environment and home user environment and may I say this is a really good O/S the stability of windows xp but the nice looks and userbility of windows vista.

Microsoft Let me tell you I agree it is a good step forward. I also am planning on completing the exam in this operating system.

8. jpbaugh profile image66
    jpbaughposted 14 years ago

I have yet to have any extensive interaction with Windows 7 as of yet, but from everything I'm hearing from both my technical and non-technical friends alike, it is the best incarnation of the Windows OS yet.

I'm looking forward to it.

9. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

SUX???

10. gary777g profile image66
    gary777gposted 14 years ago

I like it.  Cool features.  Lots of stuff I will never use...  But it works and is very easy to use.

11. itcoll profile image62
    itcollposted 14 years ago

i had tried the beta version earlier [i think it was a release candidate or something] and it was definitely cool when compared to the vista.but i am not sure if it is better than xp.

12. platinumOwl4 profile image71
    platinumOwl4posted 14 years ago

I have not used it yet. However, I really can't see the need to upgrade from xp what else can a software do. I use my computer for archiving Music windows98se was stable and fast enough for that purpose. The new operating system seem to take control of you computer, constantly updating something>

13. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Awesome product, check out my hub.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Windows_7_Review

14. Wytchewoode profile image59
    Wytchewoodeposted 14 years ago

Why use Windows at all?

Switch to the more stable, lighter, faster, equally user friendly and most secure OS that is Gnu/Linux.

Software? There is more free software published under the auspices of the Open Source movement than expensive proprietary software, equally stable, secure and free built by a community of real people who care about principle not profit.

Take a look at Gnu/linux, Open Source options and the Free Software Foundatin.

Join the revolution!!!

15. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

At this point I'm holding the same opinion of windows 7 as I did after I 'tried' to start using Vista exclusively.  It sounds like a good upgrade but, as I've always said, how excited can you get about a product you install then apply 56 patches to insure it works properly?  To me its been like buying a car off the showroom floor and being told you can't actually drive it home today, we have to make 40 or 50 repairs before it'll run right.

16. articleposter profile image61
    articleposterposted 14 years ago

I am currently running Windws 7 and am yet come across any softwares / hardware that cant run on that. So its looking very good so far.

17. aperturering profile image80
    apertureringposted 14 years ago

I've been using it for about 6 months and love it. I have it on several of my computers and it runs great on all of them. I particularly love it on my TouchSmart. The improvements they made for touchscreens and multi-touch are wonderful.

18. profile image57
    Tyler Hendricksonposted 14 years ago

I also just loaded Windows 7 onto my computer, it is by far the most efficient and cleanest operating system I have ever used. Definately prefer Windows 7 to the Mac operating systems.

19. GUNDERSTONE profile image61
    GUNDERSTONEposted 14 years ago

It is definitely an improvement over Windows Vista.

When Vista first came onto the scene there were all kind of issues from hardware incompatibilities to software / driver issues.

I am happy to see that the release of Windows 7 offered little to none of these legacy issues.

I've heard some folks say "Windows 7 is what Windows Vista was supposed to be" - maybe so; I am glad for the end result which is a world of improvement over Vista and a huge jump forward in use and functionality from Windows XP

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I run it for more than half a year if you count RC1, and I am pretty happy with it. I never used Vista, I went there straight from XP. smile

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

good move big_smile

21. The Phil profile image61
    The Philposted 14 years ago

I love it. It works 2-3x faster than XP did on the same hardware. There are also many added gadgets and features that make computing easier and more convenient. The one I love the most is the snap feature (you can quickly view two windows side by side).

22. Cleanclover profile image42
    Cleancloverposted 14 years ago

It's the best get it now!

23. jerryjeng profile image58
    jerryjengposted 14 years ago

I'm python programmer and I do not use Windows usually, but tried Windows 7 once, and I can say that this is the best, what Microsoft ever done. Looks like real useable operating system.

24. profile image0
    AdviceDoctorposted 14 years ago

I think it's shit. It doesn't work. My office computer has Windows 7, and it's horse shit. I don't reccommend it.

25. profile image52
    owner_2posted 14 years ago

I don't recommend Windows 7 .Windows XP is the best till now.It is fast and easy to modify as per your use.

1. profile image53
      ssc73posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Windows 7 blows XP away. I have both OS, 7 on a laptop and XP on a desktop. I downgraded from Vista on the desktop and my desktop has better, faster hardware and the laptop still blows it away. The laptop had Vista on it before.

Maybe your hardware is the problem??

I haven't used my desktop much at all since getting 7. I haven't had the chance to migrate the desktop and was waiting to make sure no issues. There was only one with Nvidia usb/chipset drivers for devices. It's been patched, no other problems. And even when there are, the compatibility mode works great for using older software/drivers.

26. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

its ok. thats only

27. XpertLayman profile image57
    XpertLaymanposted 14 years ago

It is certainly the best, most practical of the Windows family. Its clean, light, fast and simple. It also has kick ass Aero features! 

I am no expert, but that is the point. Most users are not. One should not create products for of this nature when most of your target market will be the laity.

Here's what I think: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Laymans-gui … -Christmas

28. Henrietta Chloe profile image58
    Henrietta Chloeposted 14 years ago

I still love Windows XP so I probably won't be upgrading anytime soon. I do have it on my office computer and it's definitely better than Vista. When the time comes for Microsoft to end support for Windows XP, that's the time I'd get it.

29. Kaminari profile image54
    Kaminariposted 14 years ago

The only thing I can say - it outgoes Vista completely. Still, I can't say I'm too satisfied due to capacity issues.

1. profile image53

capacity issues?? It doesn't take up much more space than xp, less than Vista and you can eliminate a lot of software you would need for xp. So I don't see how capacity is an issue??

Unless you are talking about something other than actual hdd capacity??

30. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

I dunno lol

31. apricotmousse profile image54
    apricotmousseposted 14 years ago

I love the speed and graphics. I just bought a laptop with windows 7. Great.

32. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

I do not run Windows 7 but the machines I have worked on it seems very good...

33. Kmadhav profile image60
    Kmadhavposted 14 years ago

Hi I found a good blog about windows 7 sharing useful information in new Operating system.

http://www.windows7datarecovery.blogspot.com/

34. technocrates profile image59
    technocratesposted 14 years ago

Reasons why Windows 7 is better then any other windows OS:

1. Boots Faster Than Vista
    When tested with identical configuration and software packages, Windows Vista took 37 seconds to boot from boot screen to log in screen. There Windows 7 took only 27 seconds, exactly the same as our good ol' bugged buddy Windows XP but with many more features.

2. Battery Life and Wireless Connectivity Optimization
    Windows 7 is supremely optimized for battery conditions and process management. It manages wireless radios better allowing them to drop below 100% power draw while managing the connection. The effort behind OS kernel is also evident. The CPU can sometimes run at a lower frequency and stay idle for long. This results are a minimum of 11%-15% better battery life for Windows 7 compared to Vista.

Windows 7 automatically searches for and installs drivers for new hardware. Against: The previously mentioned problem of needing a clean install for XP to Windows 7 upgrades.

35. technocrates profile image59
    technocratesposted 14 years ago

Along with this I also found some useful information on:
    http://windows7.iyogi.net/
    I hope it will help you...

36. Mieka profile image61
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

After using Windows xp and vista, I lost my mind. It's always bloody freezing. After about a year the whole system is superslow, and I get really frustrated. I have a second-hand macbook now. It's 4 years old and has never frozen on me, never does anything weird and I absolutely love it!!!

1. technocrates profile image59
      technocratesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try Windows 7, you will definitely get the good experience from the same...It is far better what microsoft has produced so far...

37. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Still running Xp but love Windows 7.

38. servers profile image59
    serversposted 14 years ago

I personally don't consider interface changes like the new taskbar and libraries to be 'gigantic changes' in any respect - the Taskbar changes are nice, but seem to be to be small evolutionary improvements to the existing Vista taskbar features; similarly the Libraries feature, while a nice evolution of the existing new Vista sort capabilities, again is not something that is dramatically going to change the way people use Windows in my opinion.

For example I consider the Instant Search feature in Windows Vista to be a fantastic feature and one of the major reasons I wouldn't and couldn't switch back to XP. The way it's neatly incorporated into the interface and helps me access any file or feature from the Start button is phenomenal. Yet even after demonstrating it to people, many XP users are underwhelmed and simply say that "I already know where all my files are". So a great feature, some might even see a 'gigantic change', introduced in Vista to allow quicker access to, as well as better search of, all types of files, is rapidly dismissed in a very casual and thoughtless way by many XP users. I feel Windows 7's new features will similarly be brushed aside.

I believe many users will insist that they won't upgrade until Windows becomes "faster". This sentiment is of course fueled by various blog articles by tech illiterates who will run dubious 'benchmarks' trying to capitalize on Windows 7 hype, saying things like "Windows 7 is slower than Vista", or as we've seen, "Windows 7 is Vista SP2" (as though that's a bad thing). People seem less concerned over features than they do over speed, and of course it's very difficult for newer OSes with newer features, additional support for various new technologies and new protection mechanisms to then also be faster than an OS from 2001. That's like comparing Windows XP to Windows 3.1 - 3.1 will always win in the speed stakes.

39. Johnvincent profile image57
    Johnvincentposted 14 years ago

I loaded Windows 7 onto my computer a few weeks ago and have been liked what I have seen so far but time will tell as with all new software. So far it looks a lot better than vista which is not too hard to do.

40. cc3456 profile image61
    cc3456posted 14 years ago

Windows 7 is great - i have it on all my computers and it works a treat. Much better than Vista. It doesn't slow any apps down for me either.

41. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Windows are the same the world over, great to see out of and open when you are too hot in the house, windows 7 seems okay but the other windows in the house all look the same!

1. profile image53

So Windows 7 and Windows 3.1 are the same?? It's ok not to like the mega$$ OS. But saying there have been no changes or features added is very short sighted.

They could still work on some of the bloat in start-up as far as services and processes go but it is pretty easy to adjust the ones you can. It would also be nice to have better access to some OS components that are completely hidden but is understandable why not.

And I do use freeware whenever possible. I also have a version of Linux and more recently Google Chrome OS on VHD. I use Chrome for testing right now. And Linux primarily for when I just got plain irritated with XP or Vista or when I want to work on app development.

But since the RC of 7 and even more since they fixed the USB/Nvidia patch, I find myself using the Linux dist less and less. And before this recent version, I was planning to eventually go straight open source.

And I gotta admit, it's painful to say but 7 has been a huge winner so far with me, as anti-M$ as I am!!

42. grammarchecker profile image61
    grammarcheckerposted 14 years ago

I gave Vista about a week on my new laptop before I upgraded to Win 7 RC. For me, the difference in performance was night and day. I don't know if it was because Vista was still shuffling all my files or what, but it was really slow.
    Windows 7 is like butter, strictly butter baby.

43. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I've no reason to upgrade to Windows 7 as of yet. Not sure but after June 2010, i might switch as there will be new version of some adobe products.

44. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 14 years ago

Windows 7 is great, it is a major upgrade very similar to an upgrade of XP from Win 98.

45. papigogy profile image59
    papigogyposted 14 years ago

not so light as XP for the requirement, but i like 7. i like both for my everyday activity.

46. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

I use windows at work to enter data. I hate windows.
    I use a Mac at home. My son just bought me a beautiful white slim IMac.
    Macs have never crashed on me.
    Windows crashes at least once a day.

47. ohox profile image61
    ohoxposted 14 years ago

everybody love Win7. especially because win7 fix problems that come with vista. faster performance, fine GUI, better algorithm, and so on. when vista released, everybody still stick with their XP. now they love to move to 7. although, there is a lot of softwares that don't compatible with 7 yet.

1. Steve 3.0 profile image64
      Steve 3.0posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The windows 7 upgrade didn't cost much and I really like it.  Some of my photo editing programs, like auotpano pro used to be sluggish with vista but seem to work much faster with windows 7.

The only problem I had was with my firewall but I changed to the PC tools free firewall and that works well with windows 7.

48. Hejanny profile image58
    Hejannyposted 14 years ago

It's a real beauty and powerful but I don't think it is as stable as XP (especially when I am at games). So most of the time I choose the XP when I boot up the computer.big_smile

1. profile image52
      laptopshop_N1987posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A problem arose when I tried to install and use Outlook 2002 (I think) as my e-mail client with my old .pst file copied over to the new OS.  It would not save the account passwords, which turned out to be a known issue even back in Vista days.  Tried switching to Live Mail client.  Problem with deleting unwanted mails and multiple clients, so I said screw those apps and went to Gmail as my POP3/SMTP/gmail client and have had no problems.

49. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

My step daughter stumbled acrossed a copy and installed it on her machine, looks pretty snazzy. I've used it a couple of times and find it to be overall much better than the mistake of Vista.

And, with XP no longer supported by Microsoft--not to mention dropping support for Vista--looks like if you want to use Windows, it's the only Microsoft OS for you going forward.

Good luck to them. Or maybe not. But still, I'm half way impressed.

50. west40 profile image61
    west40posted 14 years ago

MUCH BETTER THAN VISTA!!  - My husband was blaming his computer and not the operating system for all his troubles - when we trashed Vista and installed Windows 7 he became a new man - no more mumbling and swearing at his computer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)