Will we ever see a Operating System other than Windows??

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Sagarika Rath profile image60
    Sagarika Rathposted 14 years ago

Windows 98, 2000, xp, vista, 7 .... ever since heard of computers heard these only. with a Microsoft dominated market we are left with very few options to look for apart from not so well performing Unix, Linux and only perfect alternative Mac.
    will we ever find a Operating System to overtake "Windows"

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well you mustn't be listening hard.

Unix, Linux, Mac... and there are others.

Sagarika Rathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

heard of these but not heard of others. from ur listing Mac is also nowhere close to Windows

1. profile image0
          JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bought my first mac a few months ago. So far I am finding it to be far superior to Windows.

1. wyanjen profile image71
            wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've only owned one PC. I understand that Macs are more expensive, and that can be a problem, but they are worth the price.

I thought FF users would get a kick out of this:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love068.gif

2. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Big Business doesn't operate on Windows in the same way that individual users do.  Windows is a desktop platform.  Sure there are businesses who use it... but on the backend... take internet providers for example, Windows isn't all that.

3. oderog profile image47
      oderogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It just human nature to go the 90% way, that's why I guess almost everyone is using Windows because somebody else is using Windows. But we have some stable Operating system other than Microsoft Windows

4. free ubuntu now profile image60
      free ubuntu nowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most servers are a Linux server that power websites, instead ordf Microsoft based. On the desktop OS list, Apple's OSX is 2nd, followed by Ubuntu being 3rd, and Linux Mint(an improved Ubuntu), number 4, which I use. Each one being better than Windows. Linux Mint is easiest to use for new people. OSX is superior in removing software by dragging the selected program or item to the recycle bin and then emptying it. That's it. There's no long uninstall program process. Though Linux's great package manager has them all beat. Each OS has it's advantage. Google Chrome OS is internet based. A sophisticated computer cluster powers your apps, so the need for a constantly updated computer is eliminated. You can run on minimal power. I use Linux Mint, and it's growing the fastest. I help in that by spreading the word in my area and I give out free cd's.

5. treeasa profile image60
      treeasaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think with proper software installations we can ignore the windows by ubuntu or kubuntu,, mac is not an option without itz supporting.. so the best option will be according to me is linux.... by treeasa@gmail.com

2. EFPotter profile image61
    EFPotterposted 14 years ago

Yeah, if you haven't heard of others, your ears are closed. Mac isn't just another brand, it has its own operating system. And for those who want to be a little more virus-free and do-it-yourself, Linux and Unix are great Windows alternatives.

i agree but see the user statistics and u will find they were bit far from alternatives.
      can check out this link
      http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

3. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Mac OS is unix based. This was the major change from OS 9 to OS X. (Believe it or not I still use OS 9 one one of my macs.)

Macs can use Windows 7 if you feel so inclined.
    I don't smile

Google is developing an OS also.

Microsoft would not be so dominant if PCs were sold without Windows already installed on them.
    Mac isn't really somewhere close to Windows, it is a completely different operating system.

posted an eyeopener buddy

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must have forgotten to log into your other sockpuppet account. big_smile

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think for any operating system to overtake Windows it would have to be a revolutionary computer that operates differently and more effectively. So let's just say it hasn't been developed yet.

i agree

2. kephrira profile image59
      kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with flightkeeper, nothing will ever compete with windows for general use on regular pcs's. When they bring out quantum computers or some other innovation and operating systems have to start over from the ground up then the market will open up. But then will probably just end up with another os that takes over 90% of the market and dominates for years. It's like google with search engines. As long as we use search engines as our main way of finding our way around the internet google will dominate.

5. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

Apple is setting us all up for taking over windows. Think about all of the various forms of "i" somethings there are and the rise in popularity of anything Apple. Give it a couple of years and Apple will make a big launch of a computer system that will be able to put a big dent in Microsoft. It is all about apps, the only reason microsoft is so dominant is due to the sheer number of computers running the windows system and the number of available apps. Apple is clearly gaining ground and they are doing it by taking over every other niche except the pc market.

waitin for tht day. im bored by the same logo of windows

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

oh, does not make a bit of sense in chronological view... sad

1. Sue Adams profile image96
      Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then stay in thread view man! big_smile

2. Sagarika Rath profile image60

Mishaposted 2 days ago

"oh, does not make a bit of sense in chronological view",

thnx for the advice. i am bit new to it but wil take care of it next time

7. techjunkie1 profile image60
    techjunkie1posted 14 years ago

The most likely candidate is google. They are developing a new mobile operating system. IF they conquer the mobile market, then they can enter the desktop arena.

They already have a beta operating system!

8. Arren123 profile image59
    Arren123posted 14 years ago

You missed out Windows 3.1, Windows NT and Windows 95, I know I'm going back a bit lol

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Add in DOS and OS/2 and I go back just as far...Let us not forget Linux, HP-UX and Solaris either

9. racemels32 profile image59
    racemels32posted 14 years ago

Android wil be shipped on Netbooks this year. Not very keen oN Google having a hand in a OS though. It's supposed to be more cloud based.

10. HubChief profile image70
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

Google is listening and making ANDROID... windows is though a cool name to survive a few more decades.

LINUX tried, MAC tried

no one can beat volumes licensing of windows and consumer friendly price.

Google may do it.!!

1. NewYorker profile image59
      NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have faith in Google. I think Google might succeed. Billions of users use Google and YouTube every day, so I think they might succeed, if they do it well enough.

Linux never had a shot. Their operating system was (and is) bad and unattractive.

11. Sagarika Rath profile image60
    Sagarika Rathposted 14 years ago

Thnx HubChief - At last i got the right answer to my question

12. mktanny profile image58
    mktannyposted 14 years ago

The only thing that makes windows stand apart is that even my grandma can use it........other than that everything is somewhat same in all the operating systems.

13. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Meh, I like Windows, it is practically crash free nowadays, runs pretty smoothly, and doesn't clog up unless you install a load of shite on it Which would happen to any OS)

I am currently on Windows Vista, however I have dramatically revised my opinion of Windows since XP, before which the only half decent, stable, operating system was Windows 2000, everything else was unsecured with a tendency to fall apart!#

Linux is a good OS, but you have to be very tech savvy, and keep up with the latest news, to be able to operate it all correctly.

Kephrira, Quantum Computing is not going to remove the need for decent GUI, and is a hardware issue, rather than an OS issue, it will just need new drivers, rather like the previous bounds forward in computing technology.

HubChief, Android is the name of Google's mobile phone OS, Google's PC OS is called Coogle Chrome OS!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)