Disappointed in Daily Two Cents/Writedge

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Carola Finch profile image93
    Carola Finchposted 8 years ago

What is your experience with DTC - Writedge since the changes in October?  I have been with Daily Two Cents and Writedge since April, 2015.  In October, DTC-Writedge have changed to a strictly Adsense and affiliate link royalty model. People must have three months without violations and 50 articles posted to qualify.  I have not made a cent there, which is really disappointing.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That kind of penalty sounds as if they are determined to avoid paying under any circumstances. It is a reminder of what an essentially decent site HP is.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Carola, you're now seeing the reality of what those sites are really earning.

A few months after DailyTwoCents started, I stumbled across a post by the site's owner on a webmaster's forum.   He was expressing concern that he was running out of money, because he was paying writers out of his own pocket!

He was making the same mistake as Bubblews - paying writers more than the site was earning to attract posts, in the hope that income would improve once the site was big enough.  It doesn't work, because all that does is give writers unrealistic expectations.  I knew writers would be in for a disappointment, when he ran out of seed money and had to start relying on Adsense.

Which is what is now happening. He has spent a LOT of money paying writers and can't afford to pay any more, and he certainly can't afford to take ANY risks with his Adsense account because without it, he'll lose all hope of ever recouping his investment. So he has to be strict because Adsense violations by members could cause him to lose his account (that almost happened to the Wizzley owner).

Carola Finchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Thanks for the info, everyone.  Hopefully, this new model will work better for me.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I doubt it actually, since Adsense payments have dropped so much.   We are lucky on HP that HP has its own advertising program.

2. UberGeekGirl profile image61
          UberGeekGirlposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Neither my partner nor myself are "he" btw wink both being women and also writers. Also I'm not aware of any forum we've discussed our pay model other than our own. Just saying smile

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That statement was about the person who owns the entire site, rather than about you (unless you are in fact the owner and founder of DaillyTwoCents).

1. UberGeekGirl profile image61

Yes, myself and Danielle are the owners and founders of both Writedge and Daily Two Cents smile

3. UberGeekGirl profile image61

I think you're probably thinking of Post Any Article. We don't talk about our finances publicly on DTC, we're not males, and we were online for years before we were forced to change the pay model.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I used the word "he" but I'm sure you're aware it's not possible to tell a person's sex on a forum unless their username gives a hint.  It was not on the DTC forums but on a private webmasters' forum, and it was a long time ago.

1. NateB11 profile image87
              NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure it is Milk the Blog you are referring to. I had said on a forum thread that I started writing on that site and I think you posted a link to the forum thread where the owner said he didn't have money to pay users. I quit that site a long time ago, not even sure what's going on with it now.

2. UberGeekGirl profile image61

Yeah definitely wasn't Danielle or myself (Michelle) smile

2. NateB11 profile image87
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, since the changes I've started deleting and moving my articles. There's no way to make any money there.

1. UberGeekGirl profile image61

That really depends on what you write about. We've had a number of people make more with affiliate links and adsense already since adsense pays for all impressions, not just uniques. smile

3. aingham86 profile image72
      aingham86posted 8 years ago

Well that's a lie. There's no minimum number of posts required to put your adsense code in. Also, if you violate the rules, you're informed by the editors and encouraged to make changes. Adsense isn't removed. The only time it would be and your posts taken down is if you continually break rules and are removed from the site; just like any site has the right to do.

Carola, I know you've fixed violations and taken on board tips that editors have given you. You'll still have your adsense code if you popped it in the advertising section on the site.

As for the change, it happened because people were gaming the pay per view system. The site was breaking even and making money before that. By the way, the site owners are both female.

Like any ad share site it takes time to start making money.  Adsense isn't an overnight success. Plenty of people on the site have given tips on how to make more money on the site through tags and good keyword choice and useage.

I'd suggest getting the facts before writing something. If you are in doubt, you can always contact the site owners or stop by the Facebook support group where members who have been on the site since the beginning and make more than they do on HubPages (I'm one of them) will answer questions.

4. Carola Finch profile image93
      Carola Finchposted 8 years ago

I am talking about DTC and Writedge new policies, not Adsense itself.  Check out a the blogs called "New pay model starting" on these websites and reread my post to see what I am talking about.

1. aingham86 profile image72
        aingham86posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm assuming you're on about this post: http://writedge.com/blog/new-pay-model-starting/

You've misunderstood it. The requirement of 50 posts and no violations in three months is for people who DON'T have AdSense and maybe can't get it. The site is willing to host a blog for  you, but you need to meet those requirements.

If you want to put YOUR OWN AdSense code in to your current posts, go into the My Advertising section in the WP dashboard and you can do it. You don't need the 50 post minimum or any of the other stuff you mentioned.

Like I said, if you needed anything clarified, emailing the owners or going to the FB group would have easily done that for you.

Thank you for clarifying.  The blog did not make it clear that it was talking about qualifying for a blog site and not as a general rule of thumb for all postings.

1. aingham86 profile image72
            aingham86posted 8 years agoin reply to this

There's a bolded and underlined section that says for those who don't already have AdSense. Maybe it was rushed reading? It is very clear what the requirements are for. The downside with reading online is that many tend to skim but when it doubt read through again slowly and ask questions to those who definitely have the answers.

I've seen it a lot, and not just with writing sites, where people go into a forum with only part of the information or wrong information. They then scare so many others and start arguments/fights/debates. That doesn't mean raise issues when there definitely are some, but clarifying points with those who have the definite answers is always the best place to start. I'd really suggest joining the FB group because it is a good place to get answers to questions quickly. There's always someone to help. At least two of us have been on the HMM sites virtually since they opened.

OK.  Lets see what happens.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)