jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What did we do B.C. - before computers ?

1. EllenGraeger profile image61
    EllenGraegerposted 7 years ago

What did we do B.C. - before computers ?

Can you remeber what we did all day long when there weren't any computers ? (I'm 46, I can remember those days). Nowadays we are working, communicating, having fun - all through our computers (mostly). What did you do b.c. ?

2. Torch Harrison profile image82
    Torch Harrisonposted 7 years ago

I remember.  We rode bikes, played outside (sports like baseball, football, hockey), went fishing, played golf.  Sometimes go for long walks without a radio or a Walkman hardwired to our ears!  (Now it's an IPod).

Around the house, it was listen to the radio (tv was at night in my home), hung laundry outside on the line to dry, have tea and coffee cake (homemade) and pass the time with a neighbor or friend...real person to person conversations.  And let's not forget cards (bridge, poker, go fish, hearts) and board games (monopoly, sorry, battleship, life).  Jigsaw puzzles, quilting, sewing, making clothing...crafty pastimes.

Then of course, the Sunday afternoon drives in the country...with those big old radios with nothing but AM...remember that?  Going to carnivals, races, sports events, fairs...ice cream parlors with cows out back....

The last time I was at a place that was like it was B.C. was about 4 years back...I had to take a trip out to a little city in Montana...and it was like I stepped back in time.  Go into a store, people actually smiled and said 'hi' instead of being engaged on their cell phone while ringing you up.  Sit at a table in a restaurant, people would actually speak to you..friendly-like.  Gents held doors open for the ladies (something I haven't seen in a dog's age) and tipped their hats...and by gosh, people actually waved at you when you left places!

Now we're so entranced by our electronic world, we very rarely experience the 'real' world...and real person to person communication.  As much as I enjoy all the computer things and electronic gadgets...I miss the slower pace and personal touch that the past had.

3. profile image53
    SpaceAgeposted 7 years ago

What did i did B.C. before computers is watch lots of tv & rode my bike a lot

4. McConnell Group profile image81
    McConnell Groupposted 7 years ago

There is a lost art called " cursive writing" With the invention of typewriters and computers, cursive as a way of formalizing correspondence has fallen to the wayside.  I am not sure if they are still teaching this in schools.

The power of actually hand writing a note or a task reinforces it's retention. You are more likely to remember to do the task and finish it.

Now I have replaced that with a keyboard be it on my Blackberry or mac.