jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is technology making us dumber?

1. At Last profile image61
    At Lastposted 7 years ago

Is technology making us dumber?

2. wsupaul88 profile image71
    wsupaul88posted 7 years ago

No, I think technology is the basis for freedom of information. There is so much info available now, how could we be dumber because of it?

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 7 years ago

i was thinkiing it would've been funnier if you'd asked if technology was making us *dummer*?  ;-)

4. SnowRose profile image61
    SnowRoseposted 7 years ago

Just because information is free and out there via the web to be read and searched through, doesn't mean the average person is learning anything interesting or making us smarter. Some people just surf videos on youtube that show idiots falling off a ladder or kittens attack on a whim, etc. Just because technology is available, does not mean people want to learn and become smarter.

5. mcrawford76 profile image83
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

I think it's a mixed bag. I feel that with free access to unlimited information that there is a potential for much greater intelligence than ever before.
    Unfortunately the kids of todays generation are much more interested in playing video games.

6. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I think we are being stupidly over reliant on technology to the extent that kids in schools use calculators before they can do the maths with pencil and paper.
    Someone programmes a computer to sort out (not very well) grammar and spelling, and it starts to disappear from our brains.
    So called engineers sit in front of computers and programme CNC machines and have never used a lathe, or a mill, or a pedestal drill...
    The calculators and CNCs are fine, but we need to keep the basics alive for when/if everything stops.

7. wilbury4 profile image73
    wilbury4posted 7 years ago

I think Yes in some ways but No in others. For example, we are becoming more technically minded but we are failing with such tasks as mental and written arithmetic. So on the 'Dumbness scale' I would say we are holding our levels.

8. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i'm not sure about dumber but lazier for sure.

9. Simipage profile image58
    Simipageposted 7 years ago

I would say yes because we only use technology, rather than understanding how it works, preferring to people.