Has google made people dumber?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Melissa-Chavez profile image60
    Melissa-Chavezposted 12 years ago

I've heard that since Google's huge success and it's availability  ,and even more now that most phones have a google search bar in the home screen, people have been getting dumber since they don't have to remember things anymore. I mean every answer is at their fingertips. What do you think?

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. They don't have to remember, to think, to know how to spell. In time, they will forget to how to even converse in a normal fashion now that so many do nothing but text.  We are going to end up like robots.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I gotta disagree with this one...

Pre-internet: People would wonder something and just keep on wondering, because research back then was laborious and time-consuming.

Today: People wonder something, and are immediately provided the answer. Which leads to the next question, and the next question, and the next question. Which leads to continual learning, self-improvement, and advancements in life that would otherwise just plain not be possible.

Now where the hell are my keys...

1. brittanytodd profile image88
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with you, PS.  I think that I know much more because I can find the answer to my questions so quickly.  I know some of them could be wrong, like WA pointed out below, but I try to do my research.

I think that maybe some people have become dumber, while some really absorb the information (or organize it in a word doc like me haha).

3. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that it is more often the wrong answer that is at their fingertips.

Most people have little clue of how to search and even less on how to assess the quality of the information they find. This problem is compounded by the fact that Google is increasingly favouring sites such as Yahoo Answers, which are full of incorrect information.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image71
      BlissfulWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Google made me smarter because I learn a lot of things by Googling that I otherwise would not have learned.

2. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

Edison never remembered anything he could look up.
    I don't think he was dumb.
    I think he was alive before google but I can't remember.

3. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Of course they have become dumber. We make money off them through Google with our crappy articles, don't we?  smile

4. Hamad Irfan profile image63
    Hamad Irfanposted 12 years ago

Yes it might be true, because that very search box has become the answer of our every question. I for instance consider myself dumber as I have been loosing my grasp over spellings just because Google is there to correct us.

5. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Google is my memory. Couldn't do without it. I have a bad memory on purpose. Keeps me from burning my brain out.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

I agree with you WriteAngled.  Look at Wikipedia, those articles are written by people like us.  So many think it is an official online encyclopedia.  There is a lot of wrong information there. ASK is another one.  So many have no idea as to what they are looking at for information. Then if they spell the word wrong, there you go again. Wrong information because of spelling being different. We can thank texting for that.  People don't talk anymore they sit and text back and forth.

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

It's beginning to look like I'm a cult of one. lol

8. knolyourself profile image59

Wikipedia is open source. Anybody can contribute kind of like democracy. It is community consensus
    of many contributers, to a single subject. Or you can trust authority of the few, like encyclopedias with maybe three contributors or  like maybe the media where the owners decide what is right and wrong.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly the problem! Just because a majority of people like a piece of information does not make it correct. With any Tom, Dick or Harry being able to come in and change what is presented, there is no way of ensuring the information has originated from an authority in the field.

I use Wikipedia occasionally for rapid snippets of information about subjects that are not of great importance to me, to get basic dates etc, etc. However, if I need trustworthy information about important subjects, I try whenever possible to access academic journals, sites of professional associations and similar.

Of course I do not consider the mass media as being authoritative!

9. knolyourself profile image59

You can trust authority or you can trust the commons. Personally I think authority is mostly full of crap. If Picasso says its art its art.
    But as they say it takes money to make money. Maybe it takes intelligence to know intelligence.
    Those who don't know have to rely on authorities.
    However most often the authorities are more concerned with logic that benefits themselves
    than they are with me.

10. c2mtech profile image61
    c2mtechposted 12 years ago

I think Melissa is right. We can search about anything on Google these these days and Google is available to almost everyone who owns a computer or even a phone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)