jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How does one go about to start their own website?

1. KParsons305 profile image60
    KParsons305posted 6 years ago

How does one go about to start their own website?

I'm also trying to start my own website but, I don't know where to start. Either, with the background, color scheme, etc. Any advice and what type of gaming website will be good for a noobie to start off with?

2. mike_bouma profile image51
    mike_boumaposted 6 years ago

Are you building it yourself? Already know html/flash? If so just start looking at other gaming sites! www.ign.com www.gamespot.com etc and lift some basic ideas from there.

If you want to spend a few dollars try finding a template you like at templatemonster.com Then you don't have to worry about picking fonts and colours... just find one you like.

Don't want to do the work yourself? Find a freelancer to give you some ideas and do the work on elance.com

3. profile image0
    rorshak sobchakposted 6 years ago

If you search on google for a free website maker you can find a website constructor to start using. Some of them come with instructions and are very easy to follow. They almost make a wizard type thing and all you have to do is follow the instructions. I used www.weebly.com It was the first time I ever made a website and had no trouble getting started! Mikes advice is very good! You can pick all of that stuff from colors to backgrounds its very easy, good luck!

rorshak sobchak

4. jeffwilks profile image60
    jeffwilksposted 6 years ago

I agree with rorshak. There are many sites that you can use to create your site if you don't know or want to deal with the actual html coding and stuff. You can start a blog or something similar much easier than a gaming site. If a gaming site is what you are after though, there is a lot of competition, so you'll probably want to hire someone to build it for you.

5. dappledesigns profile image90
    dappledesignsposted 6 years ago

If you choose to create the site yourself, and you are looking to incorporate animation and other higher level widgets,  I would recommend Joomla. It's an open source content management system and if you go through godaddy, it's a step by step process to get it installed on your server.

You could probably find several free templates (and very affordable commercial templates) which are very easy to load. The main point is that you can incorporate free extensions that make it easy to put video, animation, e-commerce etc on your site.

The first step would be to purchase a domain name, and look into where you are going to host your website.

6. registerdomains profile image65
    registerdomainsposted 6 years ago

I can understand your problem, you don't know where to start and how to move ahead.

To let you know first, there is no fixed rule for this, different designers deal it differently.

Here's how I do it.(My recommendation)

1) First outline your site in a paper sketch, (At least home page)
    2) Then choose a color scheme
    3) Go to photoshop and make a model as you visualized earlier.
    4) Create HTML as per photoshop.

Regards

working