jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Amount of energy used by computer and laptop

1. froch profile image83
    frochposted 6 years ago

Amount of energy used by computer and laptop

I'm interested in amount of electic energy which is "eaten" by running computer or laptop per hour. Can you tell me something about it, please?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

It's very very little when compared to things like non fluorescent lighting and/or especially heating or air conditioning.

I think that if you go into set up mode with almost any Window's computer you can change the power settings to make the things consume less power, and go into sleep mode faster.  I do recommend that you use the most optimal settings for care of your hard drives - as data loss is rather a bitch.

3. skear profile image97
    skearposted 6 years ago

The power draw will mostly depend on the specs of the machine.  A gaming computer with multiple video cards running SLI is going to draw more power then a basic machine.

Laptops take considerably much less power than a desktop does but there is still going to be a difference in draw between models.

If you want to measure the exact power draw of an device you can connect to an inline watt meter such as the Watt's Up.

4. Oneit profile image69
    Oneitposted 6 years ago

This question really interested me because I'm quite a fan of saving power, and I happen to have an inline power meter.

So on my HP Laptop while connected to my Monitor it's drawing a measly 24W of power so over a 24 hour period I'm using a measly 0.576 kWH and over a year that's just 210kWH.

Now in NZ we pay 25 Cents per kWH so over the course of a year the laptop costs me $53 to run, not bad.

Interestingly it uses slightly more power if I have the display on, around 30W of power and if I do a Defrag or force the HDD to do some work it jumps to 40W.

Either way if you had a machine that was getting used quite heavily you'd still be only looking at around $100 per year.