jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I can type at least 400 characters a minute, how fast can you type?

1. lydocia profile image80
    lydociaposted 6 years ago

I can type at least 400 characters a minute, how fast can you type?

Or better, do you know about any records in typing? I can manage, on average 400 to 450, but at better moments I have recorded 600 hits a minute as well.

2. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

I can type 60 words a minute, with few mistakes, using both hands and not looking at the keyboard. If I ignored the errors I could probably push 70-75 wpm.  I am not sure how many "characters" that would be. I believe the record for typing speed is about 100 words a minute....at least that is what the record use to be. I use to think I was pretty fast on the keyboard but.......maybe I'm not as fast as I thought I was.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

I type 90 words per minute on average, faster if I know the subject material well. College students I know can type 120 words a minute without a problem and few or no mistakes.

Wow, I remember older people talking about characters per minute in data entry and keypunch jobs, though!

4. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure about characters, but with QWERTY I do 90wpm, around 150wpm with Dvorak, 99.9% accuracy (point2make, I'm going to guess that record was before Dvorak, since most people I know who use it do at least 100wpm without much strain). I know they base that on average word length, but I'm not sure how many characters are in the average word. This would be why I moonlight as a transcriptionist when my creative brain is smoking from too much writing -- of course, since then I've also discovered voice recognition software, so my transcripts fly together at about 300wpm.

5. supplies expert profile image60
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

I can do about 110 to 130 wpm depending on the subject matter. I remember in middle school we would have races on this one computer program to see who could write the most words correctly and I was doing about 75 to 85 wpm.

6. halenzhau profile image56
    halenzhauposted 6 years ago

I can type 200 words a minute, using both hands and not looking at the keyboard.