Is the OCR transcription software minimizing the need for transcription typing s

1. profile image49
    dweaver12posted 6 years ago

Is the OCR transcription software minimizing the need for transcription typing services?

I am retired and wanted to work from home as a legal typist/data entry clerk.  However, I have begun to notice that the OCR software created by "Dragon" and others has made transcription typing services almost obsolete.  Am I correct in assuming this?  Or, will there still be a need for transcription services and why?  Are you using any of this software and if so, which ones?

2. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

Yes, I believe that there still is a need for typists/transcriptionists, however it's necessity is declining. One thing that I used to do at work was records management.  As part of this process I had to scan documents into a database that permanently stores them in a digital format. One of the major problems that I ran into is that the OCR hardly ever gets it 100% correct.  I found myself constantly editing documents to correct the errors.  For example, on really old documents the OCR software I used tended to confuse "rn" and "m" or "1" and "I" a lot. In addition to this, many of the documents I needed to scan were so old that they had to be manually transcribed to be of any use. I imagine that if my documents weren't so old and I had some better software these problems would have been minimized.

working