jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are screen shots from your computer legal to use when writing about the sites yo

1. WannaB Writer profile image92
    WannaB Writerposted 5 years ago

Are screen shots from your computer legal to use when writing about the sites you took them from?

Throughout the web, in blogs, hubs, articles, and on YouTube, I see people using screenshots as they explain how they use sites and programs. Is this considered legal usage if you link back to that site or name the program from which you got your screen shot?

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

I don't know that anyone has ever tried to assert copyrights under such conditions, but I'm sure that it would come under "fair use"  :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#F … e_Internet

3. larry71 profile image60
    larry71posted 5 years ago

As long as you're not breaking any copyright laws your images are legal to use.
    Otherwise every news company on the planet would go bankrupt from lawsuits over copyright infringement.

To be on the safe side if you are worried about your own personal posts, you can give yourself some peace of mind.

Put a disclaimer in your posts stating you are not the owner and have no legal rights to the images in the post.

By using an image of or a link to a service or product isn't illegal.

If you look at help tips from this site alone, they suggest using images and links to help your readers understand what you're explaining.

I hope this helps answer your question.
    If you ever doubt or question something you want to post, it's probably best to not post it.

4. datavirtue profile image58
    datavirtueposted 5 years ago

It is "fair use." To make people happy you should link to their site if you reference it.

working