jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think that Facebook is killing our ability to form "real" relationships w

1. Miss Lacey profile image59
    Miss Laceyposted 6 years ago

Do you think that Facebook is killing our ability to form "real" relationships with people?

2. albertsj profile image74
    albertsjposted 6 years ago

To some degree, I do. People seem to live by, and on facebook. The whole cyber world has reduced our real life contact. Yet it has formed a greater bond between us sometimes. Before it all, we'd get so caught up in our lives that we wouldn't , call people, and often most od us wouldn't end up staying in touch with many. Before it was always such an effort to pick up the phone. Somehow, writing seems less intimidating. On Facebook we play. I guess it's okay, as long as one doesn't get too addicted. Most of my Facebook relationships aren't real. They're people that live all over the world, not just all over the states. So, really how real can they be, when we only communicate through FB?  I guess it goes with the times. When it becomes too abusive, or unhealthy,  then it will die down, I think

3. cherlame profile image60
    cherlameposted 6 years ago

I actually just wrote a hub about deactivating my Facebook.  I realize that Facebook is great when it comes to contacting friends and especially my family that live overseas.  But most of the people I am friends with on Facebook I don't even see. 

I see so many people who are out with friends but are sitting around on their cell phones and checking their notifications and status updates and I think this inhibits us to work on the relationships that are right in front of us.  When it comes down to it isn't Facebook that I have a problem with, but rather that some people take the relationships that are readily available to them for granted.

4. whizcreed profile image70
    whizcreedposted 6 years ago

I think facebook is just a tool and just like any other tool it can be used for many things. It depends on a person how one would like to use it.

I remember reading this quote: Mind is a tool, learn to use it and not be used by it.

Hence, its us, who gives something else outside us to control our lives, and it is us who has the ability to take that control back.

I would suggest watching "Social Network" the movie which closely portrays the idea behind facebook.