jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Hi I want you help in understanding the neon and noneon part of android developm

1. profile image49
    visionnxtposted 5 years ago

Hi I want you help in understanding the neon and noneon part of android development?

i have an app which displays video layer on top of a camera view. works on some phone which are neon campatiable and noneon kind of crashes and freezes the phone like samsung galaxy S.
    And I am new to the android world and noidea about the NDK provide by android to optimize neon.  so please help me to find out a solution?

2. kschang profile image87
    kschangposted 5 years ago

Depends on how you want to go about it. As almost all modern phones come with NEON support it may be easier for you to add a test code that says "YOu don't have NEON so you can't run this"

http://blogs.arm.com/software-enablemen … -ndk-tips/

Which links to more NEON tools at the end.

3. Alucard_1990 profile image71
    Alucard_1990posted 5 years ago

"ARMv5TE machine code will run on all ARM-based Android devices. ARMv7-A will run only on devices such as the Verizon Droid or Google Nexus One that have a compatible CPU. The main difference between the two instruction sets is that ARMv7-A supports hardware FPU, Thumb-2, and NEON instructions."

Essentially, what this means is that you can only target devices the use ARMv7-A, if NEON functionality is required.

1. profile image49
      visionnxtposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply. My application is actually overlaying a video on a camera preview screen. Works fine on many android phone but not in Samsung phone. It's like some kind of double memory or swap memory has to used to do overlay of two video plan