jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Why do you keep your ex partners as Facebook friends?

1. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 5 years ago

Why do you keep your ex partners as Facebook friends?

(For those who do)

2. SportsBetter profile image76
    SportsBetterposted 5 years ago

It's possible that someone is keeping them in their back pocket for future romance. Maybe, they don't want to let go, or spy on them.  They could have found they are better as friends. Or maybe enough time has gone by where it is okay to be Facebook friends.

As for me, I don't usually keep ex partners as friends. Maybe there is one or two where enough years have gone by that I barely remember them and I'm not one to hold a grudge.

3. ssmith1534 profile image73
    ssmith1534posted 5 years ago

I dated a guy in high school, and when we broke up, we remained facebook friends, but didn't talk to one another. And when we did decide to speak again, we started on facebook. Today, we're friends, and I think that's something both of us knew we eventually wanted, which was why neither one of us unfriended the other. It was a mutual, unspoken understanding, if you will.

4. Cathleena Beams profile image73
    Cathleena Beamsposted 5 years ago

I eventually became Facebook friends with my ex-husband and his wife, and am also Facebook friends with my husband's ex-wife and he is also friends with her.  All of us are just friends and we do not have romantic interests in our ex's.  We all comment on each others posts every now and then when it is something that hits a chord with us, which happens sometimes since we do have children in common.  It probably would have been harder when the wounds were open and fresh, but they have healed over the years and we are all happy with our lives the way they are today, so were able to open our hearts to friendship with each other.

5. Galadriel Arwen profile image77
    Galadriel Arwenposted 5 years ago

No way - Gone and forgotten is the best way to handle individuals who choose to no longer be a part of your life. If the situation was enough to make you break up why hang on and dwell in misery?

1. ssmith1534 profile image73
      ssmith1534posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on if you were friends before you dating. If you were friends, then you could still have a friendship after the relationship ends. If there were extenuating circumstances, such as spouse abuse, then I would cut ties.

2. Galadriel Arwen profile image77
      Galadriel Arwenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The only way a friendship would be needed is if the couple shared children for the benefit of the children only. Life is tough enough you need to surround yourself with love and support and kick trouble makers to the curb!

working