jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

To the SEO experts. When writing titles, what is the best way to separate keywor

1. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

To the SEO experts. When writing titles, what is the best way to separate keywords?

Sample title: "Jamaican recipe: Dumplings and Fish", there I used a colon. What is better, the colon, a dash or brackets for the secondary keywords? So would I place a bracket around "dumplings and fish" or use the dash, or is the colon best?

I am asking this because someone suggested me bracketing which I found strange. I have used the dash but have no idea if that affected my title or not. I have developed the habit of using the colon but still don't know if that is best.

2. Savvyness0ne profile image55
    Savvyness0neposted 5 years ago

With my past and current knowledge I have found the deliminator works best, |.

So for example)
    your current title: "Jamaican recipe: Dumpling and Fish"
    New title: "Jamaican Food Recipe | dumpling and fish

Also, there is no need to even use a symbol when it flows together naturally. With the latest SEO changes, being natural is the best strategy - http://www.premiumseoservices.com

Cardisaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Savvynes0ne.

3. simpy63 profile image78
    simpy63posted 5 years ago

It depends on you.. how you separate them. Here are a few tips about SEO i learnt from http://www.searchengineguide.com .
    1. The tiles are the links that a user clicks on, So make it more appealing to click on.

2. i would prefer shifting the brand name "Jamaican recipe" to the last..  because long titles usually get cropped from the end.. so keywords might loose their visibility in the search result list and eventually lead to less clicks..
    Eg. Jamaican recipe : Dumping and f...  That's Not what you want..

3. use of " - " dash OR " | " piles is more preferable.

Thank you Simpy63. The titles are cut off at 65 character so I always try to make my title not too long or too short either.

2. onlinehubber profile image57
      onlinehubberposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with simpy63 on "shifting the brand name Jamaican recipe to the last" but you can even make your title more catchy in order to  gain more audience.

3. Cardisa profile image92

The title was just a sample, not an actual title. I just wanted to know if the dash, colon or "|" was best. I know where to place the keywords already.

working