jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is it safe to allow a company like, for example, Symantec to clean up online you

1. jantamaya profile image75
    jantamayaposted 5 years ago

Is it safe to allow a company like, for example, Symantec to clean up online your computer?

They would have access to all your files, and they would work online on your PC. Do you think it is safe?

2. sparkster profile image93
    sparksterposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't trust the online scanners to be honest, they tend to report threats that are not really there in order to try to get you to buy the product.

There are many strong enough security applications available for free such as Avast or AVG.

3. Electro-Denizen profile image83
    Electro-Denizenposted 5 years ago

I imagine Symantic online scanning is ok - but anything unheard of, I'd avoid. As someone else here has said, reporting threats that aren't even there is common. The worst are spyware detectors and so on, that probably put spyware on your computer!!

I've done well with the free version of Avast! for ages now, after AVG became too heavy on my  system. No real need for online scanning imo.

jantamayaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Avast is also loved by my husband :-)

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

Totally agree with Sparkster.  I believe Norton is part of Symantec.  Stay away from em.  You may end up with malicious stuff from those sites. They scan, tell you that you have 1000 things wrong, but don't clean a thing til YOU PAY!   I use AVG.  Avast is decent too.

jantamayaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Norton is part of Symantec. They did things I could do on my own :-|

5. safiq ali patel profile image73
    safiq ali patelposted 5 years ago

I'd say be careful. There are plenty of companies out there that claim to clean up your computer. Some charge a fee and some allege they are for free. Some of these software could harm your computer further. The best thing to do if you are having problems with your computer is to ask someone local to you who knows what they are doing to take a look at your computer. As always good luck. From Safiq

working