Do you go the extra steps to recycle or up-cycle to help the state of the world?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. suzzycue profile image87
    suzzycueposted 11 years ago

Do you go the extra steps to recycle or up-cycle to help the state of the world?

Do you use cloth diapers and cloth napkins? Maybe a small step to save the world but every little bit helps. Tell me how you changed your habits to love our planet.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Interesting but in the desert, conservation is focused on water. Like what it takes to clean diapers and linens.
    Interesting is it not?

suzzycueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting point. Thank you Ericdierker.

3. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

I've given up hope that small steps make any bit of difference at all. The reality of our country (America) and much of the world is that it is built on very inefficient fossil fuel systems. Our cities are sprawled out and focused on personal automobiles that use combustion engines; our energy systems are wasteful, dumb, massive grid systems; our food systems are incredibly resource intensive--pesticides, machinery, irrigation, fertilizers, etc.--all of which again comes down to fossil fuel use; our economy is dependent upon consumption which too often favors crappy, have-to-replace-all-the-time products, along with titillating advertising which drives us to must-have products that usually aren't. Even something which sounds good, like cloth diapers, are usually washed using water that was purified at a plant, shipped a long distance, and then will be dumped back into a sewer and transported back to the treatment plant. Is it better than disposable? Ya, probably, but tinkering around on the margins without actually fundamentally changing systems is irrelevant, in my opinion.

Take recycling as another option? Good or bad? Well, it's irrelevant. Recycling is simply another form of mining (It just mines the waste stream rather than mountains), but it only has a minimal or nonexistent impact on the overall system of consumption.

I still do small things but only because it seems better than doing nothing--recycling, CFL bulbs, turning out lights--but what really needs to happen is fundamentally altering all of our major systems. Starting with converting them all to run off of the sun. Cities need to be converted into compact mass transit cities. Food, energy, and water systems need to be made sustainable, local, and smart. Capitalism needs to be shot dead. Nobody, in America anyway, is really talking about any of this stuff. A few micro-projects but that's about it.

Junkseller thank you for taking the time to really tell it like it is. Yes I agree recycling needs to be done on a bigger scale by cities but I still believe if we all do our share  than it will help.

2. rharper profile image81
      rharperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Strange.  When I go into a big box store like Wal-Mart I see the products made of plastic that I made available for reuse. I'm talking mountains of plastic product companies begging someone to find a way to get rid of.  Of course it's dirty.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No, I am not proud to say that I am not recycling. It is so overwhelming and I have to say that Ericdierker has a good point.  More water used to cloth diapers and napkins and also the energy it take to produce electricity for electric cars.  It's always something.

I have to admit I rarely leave the house so my gasoline consumption is way way down.

Thank you duffsmom. Even not using your car does help conserve . I have been riding my bike for thirteen years.

5. Tonyx35 profile image61
    Tonyx35posted 11 years ago

My neighborhood has a recycling program that is picked up along with regular waste. So I'm able to go ahead and recycle Paper, Plastic, Aluminium cans, Glass jars, cardboard boxes.  They recently gave us bigger containers. Came in really handy after Christmas (gift boxes/packaging).

I still ask for plastic bags when food shopping, since I use it as a liner for my small trash cans/bins around the home. I will admit that I use a lot of Paper towels and napkins. Go to fast food/takeout places and they pre-pack napkins in there and Lots of surfaces to wipe down here at home.

I  switched over to CFL light bulbs in some rooms, they don't really last as long as advertised. Have to replace them every six-nine months. Try where I can, but some old habits are difficult to break.

Thank you for your answer Tony. My neighborhood has all the same recycling habits as yours. Just think of the piles of garbage going to the trash dumps if we didn't recycle every day. Also recycling has created jobs that we desperately need.

6. livelifeworryfree profile image71
    livelifeworryfreeposted 11 years ago

No I do not do it to save the world, although I know my contribution counts.  I do it because it's the right thing to do.  It also teaches my kids that items are valuable and although we may not need it any longer it can be used for other things.  This is important because recycling inspires innovation and forward thinking.  One might see a can and ask, "I wonder if this can would work as x?"  When X is created somebody's life is better off because someone save a can and used it to create X and X made somebody happier, live better, more efficient, etc.

Awesome. I agree livelifeworryfree. I make lots of art from found objects and people do love my tin can frame hanging in my living room. Believe it or not it is the focal point of the room. Thank you for your answer.

7. profile image57
    Juliehauxposted 11 years ago

My father was a soil conservationist, and taught us early on to leave a place better than we found it, whether it be a camping spot, a park, or even our own back yard.  it became a very ingrained habit to pick up other peoples' litter as well as my own.  We can only recycle paper and plastic here where I live, but I loved it in CA because we could recycle glass as well.  Even so, we put more in our recycling bin that in our regular garbage containers.  We compost our wet waste, but are not as diligent when it's snowy and frozen outside.

Good inspiration to recycle Juliehaux. That is how some people walking around the river in my hometown get more exercise by picking up the trash left at the river. I love these people. Great lesson by your father.

8. MisterShives profile image58
    MisterShivesposted 11 years ago

I take a lot of extra steps to reuse things in any way possible to reduce the amount of trash and recycling that my family produces.

Right on MisterShives. We need more people like you. Thank you to everyone for these great answers.

9. rharper profile image81
    rharperposted 9 years ago

I push back against companies that make electronics that are not reusable.  If a corporation uses a chip and/or restrictive software to prevent reuse I actively discourage people from buying that product from that company.

A side note:  At one time Walgreens use to refill ink cartridges.  Then they stopped. 

Why?  I asked myself the same question.

Here's why.  Companies started using sensors that short out when the ink runs out.  That made the ink cartridge unusable.  That's not right!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)