jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do You Really Need Java On Your Computer?

1. PhoenixV profile image73
    PhoenixVposted 4 years ago

2. NitroD profile image66
    NitroDposted 4 years ago

For normal browsing not really. Only a few websites still use applets while others rely on flash adobe.

For desktop:
    Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 and 6
    OpenOffice (and LibreOffice)
    CrashPlan Pro
    Vuze (a BitTorrent client)

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago

I believe you do because Java, as I understand it, helps to protect your computer from viruses and hackers.  I think I am right about this, but will be interested to hear what others have to say.

4. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 4 years ago

Java allows some websites to run web-based applications like games, and whatnot. Even if technology were to move towards other platforms, it is still used by a lot of websites, and I really don't see a reason not to leave it.

5. MysticPrince profile image76
    MysticPrinceposted 4 years ago

If you visit websites, that 'still' use Java Applets (HTML5+Javascript is the new standard. Flash is old and proprietary), then you would need to have latest version of JRE on your PC. If you use Java applications, i.e Applications which require Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in your day-to-day use, on Desktop, then you need Java. Otherwise you are just filling up the Hard-disk for No Reason!
    No having having JAVA on your PC, doesn't help to protect your PC from hackers or Viruses. Well, but if you use Java Apps, those may be more secure than others, but even then, having a covered feet, does No Aid under Rain big_smile