Can a computer think or it does only what it has been programmed to do?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 4 years ago

Can a computer think or it does only what it has been programmed to do?

2. AlexK2009 profile image92
    AlexK2009posted 4 years ago

It depends what you mean by "think".  If you mean simulate conscious itelligent behaviour then the answer is "yes".

If  you mean "can a computer be or become conscious" then I would argue "NO" because it is impossible to say how consciousness can arise from the action of unconscious processes.

I recently wrote a Hub on the theory of the  brain as a filter for universal consciousness that took consciousness as an irreducible primary aspect of the universe line space-time and energy.   If this  theory corresponds to reality then  it might be possible to create a computer that is conscious.

In a trivial sense a contemporary computer can only do what it is programmed to do.  It is possible to write self modifying programs and then in a sense the computer does things it was not originally programmed to do, especially if the changes are dictated by  external inputs.

The bottom line is that the word "Think" is ambiguous and the question is actually two questions.  I personally think Intelligence does not require  consciousness but consciousness requires intelligence.

3. electronician profile image82
    electronicianposted 4 years ago

Can a human think or does it only do what it has been programmed (by experience and conditioning) to do? Nobody can even answer that one definitively, so good luck  answering it for computers!