jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it possible for an amateur mechanic to fix a frozen chain saw engine?

1. Ben Zoltak profile image83
    Ben Zoltakposted 4 years ago

Is it possible for an amateur mechanic to fix a frozen chain saw engine?

Or is it more trouble than it's worth? I took apart and cleaned as best I could, a 5 year old chainsaw my dad left under his porch through the weather. It looks almost new now. The pull chain works when I detach it from the saw but will not turn when I reattach it.

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I'd say it's possible if you're mechanically inclined and have a repair manual to follow. However, there's always a chance you can make a mistake somewhere along the line and when you start the thing up, parts could go flying or something else horrible. My suggestion would be to find someone who knows what they're doing and is willing to teach you to do the repairs. As the saying goes, "Better safe than sorry".

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

If the motor won't turn as a result of being out in the weather than a good possibility is that it has seized from rust formation. One thing you could try is a penetrating oil like PB Blaster. Squirt some (or a lot) into the cylinder through the spark pug hole and let it soak for awhile (days to weeks) and keep adding more Blaster. You can also lightly tap the cylinder walls with a hammer so the vibrations help the oil work itself in.

If that doesn't work than you'd be looking at pulling the engine apart which is probably beyond the amateur mechanic.

If the penetrating oil works, that doesn't necessarily mean I would go ahead and use the chainsaw. That is one tool that I would really want to be in top shape for me to use. Don't forget, of course, to change the oil and fuel.

1. Ben Zoltak profile image83
      Ben Zoltakposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Cool answer!

4. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

It is going to depend on just how inclined you are.
    From your description I would say a complete teardown and rebuild is in order. It isn't a difficult job, I did these things when I was a young boy on the farm.
    Take lots of pictures and take the time to make a list as you take it apart. Put ALL of the nuts and such in plastic bags for each section.
    Once you have it down hone the cylinder and be sure to pre-lube as you reassemble with a good primer grease.
    From a dollars and cents point of view it might seem like a wash as opposed to just replacing it but the lessons learned are priceless.

working