jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How can you reuse the moisture absorbers in medicine bottles?

1. Laura Schneider profile image90
    Laura Schneiderposted 4 years ago

How can you reuse the moisture absorbers in medicine bottles?

And, what do they contain, anyway?

2. Ericdierker profile image57
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

That is a cool question. I think because they are so small I have been negligent in reusing them. That is a big old shame on me. Thank you.

These things are called desiccants. There are many types. But it is obvious that the absorb moisture and so that is a good "reuse".

Use them like you would if you just bought them. They have quite a bit of stuff left in them if you use them as you just opened the bottle. Perhaps you should leave them in if you live in a humid place.

Things like camera cases, fuse boxes, your medicine cabinet, around electronics and even in your fridge would make sense for "reuse".

I found a fun site -- that I did not check out --https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/food_storage_faq/types_of_desiccants.htm  Obvious they have more uses but want to sell it to you.

Now I will spend time figuring out the life of these buggers.  Thanks much.

Laura Schneiderposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check out that site, too. I've been putting them in my jewelry box drawers to reduce tarnishing, but Larry Wall has a great point about perhaps NOT reusing them, too. I shall do more research... :-)

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

My personal opinion, based on working in a neighborhood pharmacy about 45 years ago would be to not to reuse them, but to discard them. They are not all the same sometimes the slighest contact with the medicine in the bottle that you may take every day, could be harmful to someone else. Throw them away. I do not know what they contain today. I am sure it is different that what I handled as a teen.

Laura Schneiderposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very good points, Larry Wall! I hadn't considered that consequence--danger to others. I was just thinking "Reduce, reuse, recycle" without considering that these things could and perhaps should be considered hazardous waste. Thanks!!

2. Ericdierker profile image57
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Very astute and smart.

working