jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are some crafty ways to reuse wine bottles around your house?

1. dappledesigns profile image89
    dappledesignsposted 5 years ago

What are some crafty ways to reuse wine bottles around your house?

I actually have quite a few of them - a lot of green, some clear and a few really pretty deep blue bottles.

2. eugbug profile image98
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

You can turn them into vases. The process involves soaking a string in alcohol, meths or rubbing alcohol will do. Then tie the string around the bottle and set fire to it. Then you set fire to the string, let it burn out and plunge the bottle into a basin or sink of cold water. The sudden temperature change fractures the bottle along the region which was heated by the string. All you have to do then is tap the bottle all round to separate the upper half.
    See link: http://www.ehow.com/how_5073800_cut-gla … tring.html
    There are more than likely videos on YouTube on how to do this!

1. backporchstories profile image81
      backporchstoriesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This sounds really interesting!

3. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

You can use the clear ones and add colored water, like yellow, orange and red, made with food die.  Then along with the dark blue and green bottles find a setting to arrange the colors of bottles to fill a lifeless space.  Play with different color schemes.  You can even take mint flowers or rosemary stems and infuse in vinegar for later cooking and still serve as a color piece in the meantime.   Also save some of the dark glass bottles for when you make your own salad dressing or herb infused oil or vinegar.  The dark glass protects against light that can break down oils quickly.

4. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Sometimes I use them for candle hiding places. Or you can make a windchime. However, I normally just recycle them.

5. JesadaB profile image75
    JesadaBposted 5 years ago

I would most likely paint them and use them as added decor around the house, somewhere that needs a splash of color. I have also used them as vases after coloring them but I have never used the trick eugbug suggested I may have to try that next time. I have used other bottles besides wine bottles as there are so many interesting shapes and sizes these days. You can also do an etching of some sort on the bottles, I just prefer the painting because it is quick and gives you instant results.