jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How to Test Antivirus if it is working or not?

1. livewirez profile image74
    livewirezposted 4 years ago

How to Test Antivirus if it is working or not?

Is there a way to test your antivirus if it is working or not?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8601513_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

There is no practical test, other than introducing a virus into your system--not recommended. The best recourse is to stick with one of the respected system. I use AVG and am very pleased. I used Norton in the past and it worked well. I am not a McAfee fan, but that was over a dispute when I purchased 12 copies for my office and the first one would not installed because there was no warning about the version of Windows I was using. Took me all day to fix the computer. However, it is probably a good anti-virus tool. The thing to watch with all anti-virus software is that they do not turn into bloatware as they keep adding features and options that are not really needed.

3. profile image52
    brettaustinposted 4 years ago

You can simply test antivirus software by running it. Like if you have installed Norton 360, Immunet 3.0, Kaspersky or any other virus protection software in your system, simply perform a complete memory scan and look whether tool is working properly

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

My only problem with that approach is that if you run the scan, but the software misses something, you are left with false results. I will not introduce a virus into my system. You pick what you like and watch it over time.

4. livewirez profile image74
    livewirezposted 4 years ago

I had found a solution for this.

To test your antivirus use this code:

X5O!P%@AP[4PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Copy the code above in notepad and give it a name it depends on you whatever name you want just make sure that the file extension is .exe

Example: test.exe

Then click that file if your antivirus detect it that means your anti virus is working fine.

Goodluck!

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"if your antivirus detect it that means youranti virus is working fine." So, I would assume that if it was not detected the anti virus is not working. The question is what is this--is it a virus. If it is not a true virus, detection becomes a problem

working