jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Any free File Search program for Windows you can recommend?

1. Patkay profile image90
    Patkayposted 2 years ago

Any free File Search program for Windows you can recommend?

And it should be able to search using any name in the document, not necessarily using the file name.

2. LoNo profile image71
    LoNoposted 2 years ago

Windows has a built in file explorer application that you can use to search for any keyword found in the title of that document or app.  However if you have administrator restrictions on your account and the file is a "hidden file" you may not have access to search for that item.

Patkayposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this suggestion, I have used it and found it not satisfying my needs.

3. Marc Rohde profile image71
    Marc Rohdeposted 2 years ago

I was going to suggest Windows explorer as well.  Are you familiar with limiting the search with to document properties?  For example "Author:Rohde" would fine documents with me as the author in the document properties.

It has some pretty robust search capabilities once you learn the advanced searching techniques.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … in-windows

I think I will have to do those fine tunning techniques and see what I will get. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 2 years ago

"windows search" by microsoft ... will search through all the words in your documents as well as emails in outlook. nothing better than that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … ows-search

I think then I will have to stick to it, I thought there was a more powerful search software. Thanks.

2. arksys profile image92
      arksysposted 2 years agoin reply to this

windows search is not the same as windows explorer search. it is a lot more powerful.

working