An acoustical engineering question: How loud would it get?

1. profile image61
    Matthew Michaelposted 18 months ago

An acoustical engineering question: How loud would it get?

First, I realize that there are many pieces of information missing in order for someone to calculate answer to this upcoming question. I'm not seeking an algorithm or documented scientific answer; I am hoping someone could just enlighten in a general sense me on how sound works in the following scenario:

I am sitting in a coffee shop. When I arrived, it was relatively quiet--a squeaky door opening, the baristas clanking their espresso making equipment, a few people talking. But as more and more people began to arrive, the noise level increased dramatically, to the point I had to almost yell t

2. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 18 months ago

dB is not a number but a ratio! Learned this when trying to calculate highway noise at night.  The way it's done is an average over 24 hour period.

So perhaps you work there and think you are going deaf with all this noise.  Don't know what to say but there is an app for that: Decibel meter[Sound,Noise]

Sound level meters are commonly used in noise pollution studies for the quantification of different kinds of noise, especially for industrial, environmental and aircraft noise. However, the reading from a sound level meter does not correlate well to human-perceived loudness, which is better measured by a loudness meter.

So the meter is not the last word. There are special ear plugs that filter out the bass so can hear the treble. That's what happens to old folks, the ear/nose continue to grow and close off your earholes and everything sounds bassy. 

there are ways to make it quieter with cloth/foamy walls, no hard ceilings (drop ceilings), all that.

working