jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Is the Net a Right or a Luxury?

1. threekeys profile image81
    threekeysposted 2 weeks ago

What are your thoughts?
    What if there are ongoing power shortages so businesses can keep making huge profits. What then?

1. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

If internet is a "right", who is guaranteeing it?

How do businesses make huge profits from power shortages?

2. robhampton profile image97
      robhamptonposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

You mean free internet or paid? The price I pay for high speed tells me it's a right. Free WiFi at local businesses would be a convenience, therefore I suppose, considered a luxury. Internet may have been a luxury 25 years ago, but the world today couldn't function without it.

2. Leland Johnson profile image90
    Leland Johnsonposted 2 weeks ago

In many ways it is a curse

3. holliesandhealth profile image90
    holliesandhealthposted 2 weeks ago

A right. A lot of people make their living off the net, and oftentimes its one of the only ways we can stay connected.

1. threekeys profile image81
      threekeysposted 2 weeks agoin reply to this

The Net was a luxury but now it has become a neccessity as people can earn a living and stay in touch.
      But I still dont get it how the authourities coulf let something like this flourish and entrench itself in our lives when we keep getting told of resource shortage/power resources shortage.It doesnt add up even if weve had it for the last 25 years or so.
      Yesterday morning at 4.45am I had just finished making a coffee and the power  dropped out. I dont know why but that morning my mind flew to countries that spend 6 months in darkness  and what if a foreign country who owned our power supply retaliated and switched of our power for good.

4. Lew Marcrum profile image95
    Lew Marcrumposted 2 weeks ago

It's both.  When the internet was created by the US Government and later allowed to be used by civilians it was a right for all to communicate.  A bit better than the existing bulletin boards.  Very quickly some with big bucks grabbed onto an opportunity and found a gold mine charging fees, then by the hour, for access.  I remember the constant wars between Compuserve and AOL for supremacy and local dial-up territories.  It's a luxury in the same sense you have a right to buy a BMW, but it's also a luxury.

5. Lew Marcrum profile image95
    Lew Marcrumposted 2 weeks ago

Leland Johnson, my biggest curse is not the internet itself but this @&%$! Dell laptop with which I try to connect to it.