jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Spammers are ruining everything! (forums)

1. David 470 profile image87
    David 470posted 6 years ago

I have a forum which is very new, and have gotten some members to join, however, they keep spamming the hell out of the site!

All they do is post information about Pharmacies, and "start your home business" etc. (nothing to do with the actual topics!)

I'm thinking about abandoning SMF forums...

How do you prevent spammers?

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Many sites, including HP, routinely block the offending IP’s. However, I don’t know how much work it is to do that.

David 470posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I need a good forum for wordpress that can maybe help prevent spammers, and allows adsense.

This is going to be tough when stupid spammers think they can just post their websites on "irrelevant content". What is wrong with them? hmm

3. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Be it SMF or Phpbb or mybb, there is likely to be spam because there are bots made for forums software.

Use text based anti-captcha on sign up page. Also sign up to recaptcha.net and use it on signup page.

Use this mod on SMF to filter spammers who manage to crack sign up.

I think I am done with SMF. (not because of spammers though)

4. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Me thinks skyfire has just become your savior here! smile

5. skyfire profile image72

SMF is one of the feature rich and easy on learning curve forum software. big_smile

If you don't like SMF then go withFluxBB and make sure you add anti-captcha and manual member add-on.

I'll check into it.

6. skyfire profile image72

By the way links in the sidebar of your nazi zombies blog are broken. Fix them. You can use blogroll widget in sidebar to fix it. (do check how you're adding URL).

Ah pi$$, thanks for indicating that.

Wait, where do I go to fix it? I think I might of deleted something that messed that up idk..

I thought when you automatically added a post, the links would be on side to jump to post.

working