jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

If you give your students a wrong answer, what would you do?

1. honghanhvt1182 profile image99
    honghanhvt1182posted 2 years ago

If you give your students a wrong answer, what would you do?

If you are a teacher, and after a class, you find out that one of your answers was wrong (for example a solution to a math problem, a history question, etc.), what would you do?

2. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 2 years ago

I would own up and tell the class that I made a mistake! I believe when you teach you have to be honest and honesty involves holding your hand up and saying 'Sorry class, I got that wrong!'

After all, teachers are only human (no robots yet thank goodness!) and a class should be able to experience their teacher occasionally making a mistake - but not too many!

I also think that if a teacher doesn't know how to answer a question they should say so and tell the student that, for the moment, ignorance is bliss. Of course, a good teacher will do the necessary research and come back to that same question, that same student, and give them as comprehensive an answer as possible.

When teaching English I always try to be as open and honest as possible. On the rare occasion I falter, I simply tell the class that I do not know. Or have forgotten. It happens to us all at some time? That way, everyone knows just where they stand.

1. honghanhvt1182 profile image99
      honghanhvt1182posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the answer! Your answer is completely right but I guess sometimes it's not as easy to do. Embarrassment, self-esteem, worry, fear of losing face... often get into the way...

3. Happy Moment profile image84
    Happy Momentposted 2 years ago

I would let  the students that being a teacher does not make me an angel. Errors are parts of human life.

4. stephenmbugua profile image59
    stephenmbuguaposted 2 years ago

The first thing I would do in the next lesson is to right the wrong.To err is human and it is better to let the students have the right answer rather than let them have the wrong answer to save face.
    I would apologize to the students and go through the math problem again solving it the right way. If it was  a history question or any other question, I would go back to the lesson where the question came from and refresh the students minds, thus showing them the right answer and acknowledging I was wrong .

5. Pacesetter Abbey profile image49
    Pacesetter Abbeyposted 2 years ago

We humans are prone to making mistakes(No one is actually perfect).
    A teacher can definitely make mistakes but it should only happen once in a while since the teacher had enough time to prepare for each class.
    Mistakes are just unintentional acts that comes into our daily activities but we shouldn't let it be a part of us. Mistakes can only bring shame and embarrassment if you don't admit that you actually made an error or if you don't know how to resolve the mistake.

6. Faceless39 profile image95
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

Next class, admit your mistake, give the right (correct?) answer, and move on..

working