Best Vacation Spots In Oregon: Experience SunRiver Oregon Vacation Destination
Sunriver Oregon has much to offer for the vacationer at any time of the year. Sunriver is a favorite spot for many for summer family vacations, ski get-away weekends, or whatever suits your fancy. Experience Sunriver Oregon and all that it has to offer.
If outdoor activities are up your alley, Sunriver Oregon offers many ammenities and unique experiences, no matter what the season.
If you are looking for a totally soothing place to spend vacation time or you need a place for a business trip venue, Sunriver Oregon fits the bill.
Visit Sunriver Oregon
Sunriver Oregon is roughly 15 miles south of the city of Bend Oregon located in beautiful Central Oregon.
Sunriver and Central Oregon boast at least 300 clear and sunny days per year. Summertime temperatures can reach into the 100s but at night, everything cools back down and temperatures fall to 30-40 degrees. Even better - there is NO humidity.
Sunriver is located in the high mountain desert terrain of Oregon. It is at the base of the Cascade Mountain Range and close to many of the state's prime recreational areas.
Sunriver is a private resort community of roughly 3300 acres that was developed in the 1980s. The total resident population is approximately 1800 but at any given time, there are many more people in residence in the form of vacationing patrons.
There are countless vacation homes, condos, cabins and rooms to rent within the confines of Sunriver, from inexpensive to top-of-the-line executive style homes complete with all the luxuries. Most all of the Sunriver rentals come with passes to several community pools; some come with passes to the health club and spa, and some come with discounts to the 2 golf courses.
Sunriver Oregon boasts more then 35 miles of paved bike paths. These are well marked paths and traverse all around the community of Sunriver. Most places that you rent in Sunriver provide residents with bikes as well. If they don't, you can rent them in the village.
Sunriver has its own little mall and 2 small but well-stocked grocery stores, one of them also a small gas station. In the mall portion of Sunriver is an excellent bakery, several restaurants and some shops for browsing or picking up necessities.
The Sunriver Lodge provides excellent fine dining experiences or a pub-style atmosphere in the lounge. There is also a cafe and a gift shop that is always stocked with unique offerings. Most importantly, you can arrange through Sunriver Lodge to catch a ski bus, arrange for river rafting trips, horseback riding and many other activities.
There are so many things to do in Sunriver that it is usually preferable to stay at least a week. There is that much to do. Added to that is the fact that Bend is just 15 miles away where you can also find countless topnotch entertainment, recreational, dining and shopping venues.
Besides the 2 golf courses within Sunriver, there is another beautiful golf course minutes away at Crosswater. There are also several other golf courses as close as 10 minutes away, and as far as 1-1/2 hours away. Sunriver, Central Oregon in general, is a golfer's paradise and many people flock to Sunriver and Bend just for golfing.
Sunriver even has its own small airport; some of the residents in Sunriver on the outer perimeter own homes with hangars attached.
Most vacation rentals in Sunriver also offer their own outdoor hot tub. Rentals also come with all the ammenities such as cooking and dining equipment and usually offer a barbecue as well.
While Sunriver is a resort community, it has the feel of something more along the lines of a wonderful vacation spot all your own in the embrace of the forest. The added beauty of the nearby Deschutes River and Mt. Bachelor have made it one of the most popular vacation spots in all of Oregon.
Sunriver Oregon Summer Ideas
- Hit the trails and bike on all kinds of beautiful trails - 35+ miles of paved paths
- Video or photograph coyotes which are abundant in the area
- Take a soak in your own vacation hot tub and watch the stars
- Rent a canoe down at the marina and float the Deschutes River
- Go to the observatory in Sunriver and watch the stars
- Rent a raft at the marina and float the Deschutes River
- Fish in the Deschutes River
- Go to the High Desert Museum located back towards Bend about 10 miles
- Sign up and go on the Palina Plunge - a bike-tour of 6 waterfalls
- Sign up to go on an all-day ride into the mountains on horseback (or overnight)
- Go on a trail ride for 2 hours
- Sign up for a river rafting adventure - 3 hour, all-day, and overnight trips
- Go shopping in the mall and pick up some fresh donuts at the Hot Lava Baking Company
- Lay out on your deck and read
- Go for a work-out at Mavericks Athletic Club
- Have dinner at the Trout House for views of the Deschutes River and Mt. Bachelor
- Take a fly fishing lesson - sign up in the mall
- Try the climbing wall at Mavericks
- Experience the wave maker pool at Mavericks
- Stay home and play board games and cook a family dinner
- Watch a video after a long day in the sun
- Sign up for a massage and facial at Sage Springs
- Check out the many golf courses in the area
- Go to see the Lava Caves just south of Bend
- Visit Lava Land just south of Bend
- Play tennis on the many tennis courts in Sunriver
- Take a picnic and go to hike at Smith Rock
- Sign up for an urban mushing lesson at Tumnatki Siberian Huskies
Sunriver Oregon Winter Ideas
- Have a warm fire in your cabin, vacation home or condo
- Schedule a business seminar and enjoy the winter wonderland
- Have dinner at the Sunriver Lodge with its beautiful views
- Take the bus from Sunriver Lodge to Mt. Bachelor for nordic or alpine skiing
- Cross-country ski on the paths in Sunriver
- Go on a dog sledding outing
- Build snowmen and enjoy the beauty of winter in the forest
- Go ice-skating in the mall
- Go sledding on the snowy hills
- Stroll to Sunriver Lodge at night and see the beautiful light display
- Sit in the lobby of Sunriver Lodge and admire the 2 huge Christmas trees
- Go shopping in Bend
- Go snow-shoeing
- Take in a movie at the many theaters in Bend
- Experience the many fine dining establishments in Bend
- Take a starlit snow-shoeing tour in Sunriver
- Sign up for a horse drawn carriage ride at the stables
- Visit the Old Mill District in Bend
- Go up to Mt. Bachelor for cross-country skiing
- Drive north of Bend to Smith Rock for a winter hike
- Experience the observatory in Sunriver in winter
- Sign up for a sledding outing or a lesson with Tumnatki Siberian Huskies
- Volunteer or go to a dog sled race
Summing Up Sunriver Oregon
Sunriver Oregon was designed to be a vacation paradise and that it is! It is a lovely way to spend vacation time or even participate in business seminars. Sunriver Lodge offers a fantastic business facility.
You will always find plenty to do at Sunriver and will leave refreshed from your time in the high mountain desert, no doubt wanting to return again soon.
Sunriver is a magical place and once you're there, it's very hard to leave. Most all of the vacation homes are exquisite and the amenities are just unparalleled. For a unique experience, stay at the Sunriver Lodge or some of their cabins.
Whether it is for a vacation, a wedding, or a meeting, Sunriver has all you could ask for and more. Happy vacationing, happy traveling!
- Hubtrail Capstone: Oregon
The state of Oregon has much to see and is classified as part of the great Northwest. If you travel from one part of Oregon to the next, you will be amazed at just how many different topographies you will...
- Cheap Eats and Fine Dining in Central Oregon
We recently discovered several places in our area of Central Oregon where you can really get a lot of bang for your buck! There are others as well but these are at the moment my favorite 5 picks for the Bend,...
- Painted Hills of Central Oregon
If you are looking for a unique place to visit, The Painted Hills of Central Oregon is the place to visit! Because of the fairly arid climate of Central Oregon, it is a great place to see at any time of the...
- Smith Rock State Park In Beautiful Central Oregon
Smith Rock State Park in Central Oregon is a place that will take your breath away literally! Whether you are traveling to rock climb at Smith Rock or just to enjoy the 10 miles of hiking trails, it will...
- Sheep Rock in Central Oregon - John Day National Mon...
Sheep Rock is yet another part of the John Day National Monument along with the Painted Hills and the Clarno unit. Sheep rock was named for the big horn sheep that were seen once upon a time to inhabit its...
- Clarno Unit of John Day Fossil Beds National Monumen...
The Clarno Unit is part of the John Day National Monument and is located in Central Oregon. While the units are spread apart, they are easily accessed and can be seen year round. The Clarno Unit is near...
- John Day National Monument
The John Day Fossil Beds National Monument is comprised of 3 separate entities - the Painted Hills, Sheep Rock, and the Clarno Unit. Each of the 3 entities has a unique history and is famous for...