Not too many major differences, or unexpected surprises, as we have been exposed to a lot of television and film from the USA for years. I can only compare to Los Angeles at the moment but here are some of the major differences that I have noticed:
1. Australians are more aware of the environment, recycling and water restrictions.
2. Banking is all done on paper here, we barely use checks (cheques) any more.
3. The health care system. It's VERY expensive to get sick in the USA.
4. The food! It all tastes like sugar and salt to me. Australians are very big on bringing out the natural flavors in foods, so that means no butter on your broccoli! Here it's heavy, fatty, and full of high fructose corn syrup (which we don't generally use as a preservative).
5. The minimum wage. Our cost of living is generally higher in Australia, but then again our minimum wage is double.
I will be discussing these things and more, in a lot more detail in my coming blogs (once I get over a few teething issues). Please feel free to follow me for more insights.