- Never tell anyone your hotel room number.
- Don't walk in unfamiliar areas after dark unless there are many other people walking around the same area.
- Walk assertively, with your head up and your shoulders down. Don't scurry like a frightened rabbit, it attracts predators.
- If you want to spend time with someone you've just met, do so in a public place. Do not go to any private area with a new acquaintance.
- Beware of people who pretend to be hurt or lost and ask for your assistance. This is a classic ploy to lure unsuspecting, goodhearted people into vulnerable situations.
- Carry a cell phone and make sure someone always knows where you are and when you're expected to return.
- If you're traveling by car and are approached by someone asking for directions or assistance never ever get out of your car. If you want to speak to them roll down your window no more than an inch and keep your car in Drive so you can leave quickly if the situation turns threatening.
I know these tips may seem paranoid but they kept me safe during many years of traveling on business to new cities.