jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Visiting The United States

1. profile image0
    greeneyedblondieposted 2 years ago

It’s really annoying when I read a blog and this foreign person talks about having been to the United States…and they’ve only been to New York City.

I get that you can’t visit all 50 states within the first few weeks or days of coming, but really, just New York City! That’s annoying. That’s like saying you’re a sailor but you’ve only been on one boat. See some of the countryside, Los Angeles, Texas, Saint Augustine (Florida), Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon.

I live here and have been to 40 states and there is still so much more to see (Hawai’i and Alaska anyone?). Don’t you dare say you’ve been to the whole United States and you only went to New York City.

I’ve been to parts of Canada, just outside of Toronto, that’s it. I would never dream of say, “Oh yeah, I’ve been to Canada.” What about Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Yellowknife? I haven’t even seen most of Canada, so I’ve only been to a part of it.

Next time, say you’ve been to parts of the United States. Maybe next time you’ll come and see more.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

To me the phrase "been to the united states" implies nothing beyond that they have at some time crossed the border into the US.  It is not a claim of expertise about the entire nation.No more that saying one lives in the US or is a citizen of the US is, people say that all the time when they have never left their home town.  If you have been to new York you have indeed been to the US,

1. profile image0
      greeneyedblondieposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's the thing though, people I've seen that advertize this act as though they're experts of the US when they've only been to one city.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's no reason to say people who have in fact been within the borders of the US should not be able to say so. It's a perfectly accurate use of language.

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

Yeah, usually when someone says they've been to Canada my first question is "where in Canada?" because I assume they're referring to one place and not the whole country. I see no issue here.

working