jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How can you be assured that you will be safe on a boat?

1. dwilliamson profile image60
    dwilliamsonposted 8 years ago

How can you be assured that you will be safe on a boat?

2. Pearldiver profile image80
    Pearldiverposted 8 years ago

The best assurance that you can gain is: Stay off boats!.. Like anything else you can ensure that common sense is the most predominant factor.  You are in more danger in a car than a boat, as long as the skipper knows his stuff. Wearing life jackets, having on board survival tools like: flares, locator unit, fire extinguisher, food & water, maps etc are as important as your ability to enjoy boating without worrying about safety as the expense of your enjoyment.
    Come fishing with us.. We chase Marco Sharks (they often jump into your boat when hooked)

3. aikidk01 profile image73
    aikidk01posted 8 years ago

1. Learn the rules of the water (just like you learned the rules of the road).
    2. Always wear a floatation device.
    3. Avoid alcohol.

4. Lady_E profile image74
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

I will be assured of my safety if the boat didn't move. As it so happens, a few years ago I spent Christmas on a Yacht converted into a hotel. (Sunborn Yacht, London) Doesn't move but stays afloat.  Antytime, your in London, consider staying there.

5. hometips profile image53
    hometipsposted 8 years ago

Maybe, a life-jacket and an oxygen cylinder should help.

6. gusripper profile image38
    gusripperposted 8 years ago

Only life jacket can help you a little when you are on a boat that sinking or is in troubles.Even you were the jacket you dont know how long you stay in the water.After a few hours maybe you have hypothermia which is very serious.If you are to the ocean some fishes like sharks are very dangerous.I suggest to stay close to the boat but not in his sinking whirlpool that can take you to the deep.Anyway is very very difficults no matter how good you can swim.AND DONT BE BASED ON MOVIES.Never a boat is 100% safe.

7. marriedwoman profile image72
    marriedwomanposted 8 years ago

i don't think there is assurance to safety.
    if destiny calls no matter how safe we think we are, we will go.

8. Daniel Carter profile image76
    Daniel Carterposted 8 years ago

1. Discover and plug leaks before launching a boat in water.
    2. Wear a life vest.
    3. Stay away from malicious boaters.
    4. Understand that weather is either your ally or your enemy.
    5. Don't forget sunblock.

Probably a list of 100 or more things here, but these are my basics.

working