Which is a better vacation? taking a cruise or a staying on a island

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Which is a better vacation? taking a cruise or a staying on a island

2. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

It depends how much time you want to spend exploring one place, as I understand that on a cruise ship you don't get more than a few hours sometimes. Personally that isn't long enough for me, so I prefer to stay somewhere - sometimes you can island hop if there are other islands of interest nearby.

3. jite profile image40
    jiteposted 13 years ago

I would prefer staying on a island,instead of a cruise.

4. ExpandYourMind profile image67
    ExpandYourMindposted 13 years ago

There are proponents for both. You can have the best of both worlds with some cruises that have both and and sea components. So you can stay in a hotel for a few days and cruise for a few.  This is popular with some Hawaiian cruises.  If you love to eat, eat and then eat some more, cruises are pretty indulgent.  If you love sightseeing and don't want to be tied to a cruise schedule, you may prefer staying on the island.

5. Aussieteacher profile image64
    Aussieteacherposted 13 years ago

I've done both and enjoyed both.  But right now if given a choice, I think I'd choose a cruise.  I think you can choose on an hourly basis how to spend your time - sleeping, eating, watching films, the view. Though it depends on the island.  Still I want to go on a cruise.

6. txquebec profile image60
    txquebecposted 13 years ago

Everybody has their on priorities, so the better choice for you might not be the same as for someone else. I'm assuming that you're interested in a standard week-long Caribbean resort or cruise, though there are plenty of cruises to other parts of the world too and shorter trips available to the Bahamas and Mexico. My family tends to alternate types of vacations, so I've done plenty of both over the years.

Say you're interested mainly in SCUBA diving or shopping, a cruise might be a better choice because you'd get the variety from the cruise's itinerary. If you're a sit by the beach or pool and read/drink type, either type of vacation is great. A cruise would cater better to travelers who enjoy active excursions like ATV, zip-lining through the jungle, rafting, swimming with dolphins or stingrays, etc. A history buff would also probably enjoy seeing a variety of cities rather than simply being on one smaller island for a week. Staying in one place limits you to just the opportunities in the vicinity of your hotel, so it seems that you better *really* like what your hotel and the surrounding area offers. The ships themselves vary widely and the newer megaships have a stunning number of activities and amenities that would be hard to find at a resort (surfing machine, ice skating rink, climbing wall, bowling alley, comedians and musicians). The downside to cruising is that you're likely going to be surrounded by people, so if solitude is a high priority, you may be better off looking for a resort that promises specifically that. Some resorts also include alcoholic drinks in their all-inclusive rates; if you're a heavy drinker, make sure to factor in the cost of paying for drinks on a cruise.

The main thing that I like about cruising is that it is usually less expensive than the cost of a room and similar entertainment and food at a resort. Its also usually significantly less expensive to fly to Miami or just drive to a nearby port, instead of getting a flight to an island in the Caribbean. What's "better" is different for everybody, but modern cruise ships and their itineraries tend to have much more to offer a traveler than simply staying in one place.

7. GGtimeshares profile image61
    GGtimesharesposted 13 years ago

For me, If I am with my love ones, I would prefer staying in an island enjoying the beach and feeling the nature.

8. FGual profile image62
    FGualposted 13 years ago

Depends on how long this vacation is. Staying on an island might get boring, so ships ahoy

9. talfonso profile image83
    talfonsoposted 13 years ago

I have stayed on an Island (in the Philippines, mind you), but I prefer cruising. Not only do I visit multiple islands, but I also love a lot of what the ship has to offer. Best of all, the entertainment there just can't be beat. (I'm partial to production shows, especially with an x-piece band with horns visible!)

10. rihsam05 profile image57
    rihsam05posted 13 years ago

Maldives Island is the best place
    http://hubpages.com/hub/MaldivesResorts

11. jessymitchell profile image60
    jessymitchellposted 12 years ago

Taking a cruise. By doing this you can also visit other islands as well big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)