jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you traveled through any African countries?

1. guymclaren profile image61
    guymclarenposted 7 years ago

Have you traveled through any African countries?

Looking for details about border crossings, traffic cops, driving, roads and more

2. Hobros profile image71
    Hobrosposted 7 years ago

I have not actually driven in Africa but have been on a Safari visiting the different wild life parks and the roads are BAD I would not recommend anything less than a four wheel drive. We did not see any trouble but the police are all armed. I do not think that I would like to drive myself but being on an organised Safari every thing is done for you.
    It was a fabulous holiday by the way.

3. GGtimeshares profile image59
    GGtimesharesposted 7 years ago

I've been to Kenya and I enjoy myself traveling there. Just be very careful.

4. lime light power profile image60
    lime light powerposted 6 years ago

I've driven through Zimbabwe, South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania - with safari companies and by simply renting a vehicle. Road-wsie South Africa is fine, just like any european country, others are occasionally spotty, roads are no fantastic, but acceptable. We actually rented a pick up truck in Zimbabwe, which worked fine for getting around.

If you're going to do it yourself just be careful and use common sense.

As for border crossings, you cannot legally take rental cars across borders.

Been stopped by cops / army, again, use common sense. More than likely they are looking for a bribe. Best way to do it, have a $20 or something tucked into your passport or under your drivers license, when you hand it over for them to look at, the bill "accidentally" falls out on to the pavement, say something like oops and leave it up to them to pick up, leave it up to them to either pick up and return to you, or for them to pocket.