There is an increasing browning and darkening of the United States and

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8079026.jpg
    some parts of Europe due to immigration from Latin American, Asian, and African countries.  Many people are threatened by the shift in the population.  Quite a few people are resorting to joining nationalistic and militia groups as they feel that they are losing their racial hegemony in their respective American and European societies.  They feel that those from Latin American, Asian, and African countries will soon be the majority in those two countries.  Let's discuss this!
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8079042_f248.jpg

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem with skin color or other racial characteristics. 

I do absolutely have a problem when one culture attempts to take over another and change it.  I like my culture and do want it to become that of Latin America or anywhere else, so in that respect I guess I feel threatened.

On the plus side, most real immigrants change countries because they like what they see in the destination country, not because they like what they had in the origination country.  Because of that they often bring their culture with them to some degree, but also make a large effort to assimilate into the new one.  The don't demand that peoples of their new country become like what they left, and that greatly reduces the feeling of being threatened by forcible change.

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point, Wilderness, keep the discussion going.

2. profile image53
        NewYorkManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Wilderness. I don't care about anyone's ethnicity, but I do care that immigrants assimilate into and contribute to American society. I would not emigrate to another country and not learn the language and expect them to cater to me. When my grandparents came to America nearly a century ago, they integrated into American society. I expect the same respect from immigrants who come to America today.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
          Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, a lot of American's who move to other countries don't do it either.

You have to give people time though to assimilate. But, we would not have many foods in North America if people has assimilated completely, we would not celebrate St. Patrick's Day, etc. .

In the case of Spanish... it was spoken in the US first, before English.

gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It CERTAINLY was.  The PBS documentary Latino Americans succinctly stated this.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What's to discuss? The bottom line is we won't solve the racial or ethnic separation issue until we are all tan. Which seems to be a natural progression - and not one I see as a bad thing.

GA

PREACH on, Mr. Anderson.  Sooner or later, I am going to MUCH, MUCH LATER people will evolve to a state where there will be less racial/ethnic tribalism and realize that we are all ONE RACE and act accordingly.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

America has been many different blends of many different cultures/colors for as long as human beings have been living here.  I am not sure what there is to discuss about such a general fact of life. It's all good.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

Yes there is. Certain populations are growing and certain populations (white) are not.
    It's a shame that people still judge each other by skin color.
    I also wish we would dispense with the hyphenation.
    If you are an AFRICAN-American, where is the primary identity?
    If you are an ASIAN-American, where is the primary identity?
    At what point in our assimilation do we get to be simply AMERICAN??

I recently watched a championship spelling bee on TV. Based on my observation
    of their looks and their names (thus making a judgment call), every single one of these kids is Indian. Yet their identity was the state they are from and the school they go to.
    In other words, regular old American kids!
    How nice!!

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

To be honest, I've never really noticed...lol  It may sound funny, but my earliest question to my mother related to race was, "Why am I so pale?"

Having been born in a very 'dark' urban area, I was always the one who felt different, but ultimately, it simply stopped being anything I noticed.  If you were a decent person, I enjoyed your presence.  That you might come from a different culture only made things more interesting.  By the time I was five, I knew how to make homemade tortillas and tamales because our Mexican neighbors taught me how.  As a small child, I had books in Korean (that I couldn't read, of course) because our Korean neighbors loved fat little white babies.  smile

5. psycheskinner profile image83

Funny that no one pulls that "what are you first" question on people on St Patrick's day.  What are you IRISH or American?!

You can be American and recognize your heritage at the same time. It is like saying loving your mother stops you from being an adult. Errant nonsense.

What you have said is so true.  I see beyond skin color and nationality/ethnic origin, I see THE BEAUTIFUL HUMAN PERSON. It is sad that some people refuse to do so.

1. bBerean profile image61
        bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I often wonder, with the anonymity of the web, how often racists from one camp become fast friends with racists from another camp through a forum on a shared interest that does not lend itself to disclosing their heritage or ethnicity?  What a wonderful dose of reality and humanity would be given if/when that little detail were discovered.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 10 years ago

It's just the natural progress of the world.

Yes, it is.   As humankind evolveas a species, artificial boundaries such as "race", "ethnicity", and "color" no longer matter-people one day will be looked upon as "humans", nothing more, nothing less.  Those who are prejudiced and insular in mentality are slowly becoming extinct.  Such artificial boundaries have NO PLACE in the 21st century.  Racists are a dying breed, thank goodness.

7. psycheskinner profile image83

And it goes both ways.  As the US culture becomes more Hispanic, people should assimilate to that.  And everyone should be assimilating to Native American culture a hell of a lot more than they have, rather than just  ignoring the crap that is going on on reservations, which are on basically useless land.

You are so correct.  Americans have assimilated to non-white cultures for centuries.  Americans have been influenced in her music by African-Americans or Blacks such as ragtime, jazz, the blues, rock'n'roll, rhythm and blues, soul, and eventually hip hop and rap.   Swing, a derivative of jazz music was influenced by African-Americans.   

Many Americans are devotees of soul food which was mostly African in origin.  Americans are more influenced by other cultures, notably non-Caucasian, more than they would love to admit.  Elvis Presley and other rock'n'roll greats were influenced by African-American musicians.  The Rolling Stones copied many of their musical styles from African-American singers and artists.   African-Americans influenced fashion style which is copied and altered by many people.

Latinos also made an enormous impact on American and European music and culture.  Latin music is also a derivative of African music mixed with some Native and European music.   Latinos have created dances and styles which are still used today in America and Europe.   Musicians such as Desi Arnaz, Tito Puentes, and Machito have influenced music worldwide.   America has always been and is a polyglot nation. 

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8083701.jpg
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8083629_f248.jpg
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8083648.jpg
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8083725.jpg
      http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8083742_f248.jpg

This is AMERICA, the beautiful mosaic, a nice, DELICIOUS blend of races and ethnicities.  I have always loved  variety and differences, DON'T you? Continue with the discussion..........

8. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

Good.

9. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 9 years ago

We are on the brink of war and what worries everybody is the shade of colors that will predominate within 20 years, did I understand WELL?

10. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 9 years ago

To be honest Americans have as much legitimacy as the Israelis as for their land. Can any scientist trace anyone of us and originate us conclusively from America? Obviously not. We are not a race. Genetically we belong to the rest of the world and that makes us non unique.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)