jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is the biggest difference between England and the USA?

1. Mom Kat profile image82
    Mom Katposted 7 years ago

What is the biggest difference between England and the USA?

I'm an American. If I were to travel to England - what would be the biggest difference I would notice (besides the driving on the other side of the road). Are the laws very different?

2. Nick B profile image81
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

As far as differences go I suppose biggest would be size. You could probably fit England into one state in the US. Here, we're a little more cramped.

Things here would probably seem very expensive too, you won't get free coffee top-ups in restaurants and the like!

The rules aren't so different, but if you want hot coffee, you can have it.

Here the pavement is what you walk on, pants are underwear; knickers too. A vest goes under the shirt and they're trainers not sneakers. We put trunks (large packing cases) in the boot (the trunk) and have a windscreen, not a windshield. A fender goes on the side of a boat, not a car. The car runs on petrol, not gas, although LPG is getting more popular - which really is a gas. We drive on the left - which is right and the police won't shoot on sight.

We don't sound anything like Dick Van Dyke either!

3. Mom Kat profile image82
    Mom Katposted 7 years ago

so even though I speak English I would still be totally lost because it's not at all like Queen's English.
    wow - I would almost need a guide or something...lol

I knew the pants thing though because my sister was in Geneva Switzerland for work and told a co-worker that her husband was ironing his pants. The co-worker thought she meant he was ironing is underwear! lol

4. GGtimeshares profile image60
    GGtimesharesposted 7 years ago

For me material things is not the difference between England and USA but for me the biggest difference is the culture.

5. justom profile image71
    justomposted 7 years ago

What about fags? They're not the same in England:)

6. jcales profile image63
    jcalesposted 7 years ago

England is considered royalty, classy, proper and more respected by other countries than the USA. India, South America, China and other countries all place England higher although the USA is big consumer and big economy.
    England excels in Futbol while the USA is getting better.

working