jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What the closest lightening strike have you ever witnessed?

1. ptosis profile image73
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

What the closest lightening strike have you ever witnessed?

For me it's about 50 feet - and uh - oh yeah - I went back inside after that!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4322749_f260.jpg

2. tblkjack profile image59
    tblkjackposted 7 years ago

I would have to say it was about that far. I love lighting storms but not that close!

3. profile image0
    TechTrendyposted 7 years ago

Roughly 30 feet when a tree got struck. My girlfriend watched a wooden power pole get splintered 20 feet outside our window.

4. point2make profile image82
    point2makeposted 7 years ago

We were outside and a tree was struck about 100ft away. It was an unforgettable experience that I would not, willing, hope to repeat any time soon. It is awesome and frightening at the same time.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Not sure.   I know one time when I lived in Madang in Papua-New Guinea where we used to have electrical storms almost every night, jumping right up into the air and falling down from the shock of a near strike.   I suspect it hit the roof of the house eight to ten feet above my head.    We lived in a metal home.

The strike was so close I could actually smell the ozone.

6. tinaweha profile image67
    tinawehaposted 7 years ago

I was on a train in Germany about 20 years ago.  The train stopped in the middle of an open field at night (probably due to lightning storm).  The lightning hit the ground outside my train window about 10-15 feet away....maybe a bit more.  Scary as sh*t.  I think they had turned the lights off on the train.  It's something you never forget.

Closed to reply

working