jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Are there still butlers in England?

1. Rose West profile image91
    Rose Westposted 7 years ago

Are there still butlers in England?

I recently read "The Remains of the Day" (great book, by the way) which was about a butler who worked during and after World War II. I've been wondering if there are still butlers in England, or has the profession died out?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I doubt it, they've all gone to the US.

3. CaravanHolidays profile image61
    CaravanHolidaysposted 7 years ago

Yes there are, which is amazing in this day and age.  If you enjoyed the book, I would suggest watching the "Shooting Party", starring Edward Fox, and others, it is all about a weekend shooting party at a stately manor just before war breaks out.  It is a layered film with a lot of subtext going on, and is entertaining, and much more than a 'costume drama'.

4. Edwin Chan profile image58
    Edwin Chanposted 7 years ago

Yeah I've heard of a few, but it's uncommon these days.

5. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 7 years ago

There was a TV programme on the other night about the representation of servants and their masters on TV, which looked at such programmes and films as 'Upstairs Downstairs," 'You Rang My Lord' and 'Remains of the Day.'  It gave some interesting and surprising statistics, including the fact that there are more servants now in England than there were a hundred years ago.

6. profile image52
    Trading Richesposted 7 years ago

Yes we still have butlers over here. The most famous one being Paul Burrell (formerly Princess Di's butler), but he is now a celebrity in his own right.

working