jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Who are your local "characters"?

1. stephaniedas profile image91
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

Who are your local "characters"?

Every town has some. In my town, there is a guy called "Dancing Dan" (picured) who is seen dancing  in the streets very often. Someone made a youtube video on him, so he has become a local legend. There are a few famous homeless people who obviously have some mental disorders, but who are friendly and well known in the community. One is "Redbeard"- he has a long red beard and talks to himself, but is friendly. There is also a man who stands on a corner and waves at cars. He was interviewed on the news. He says he does it to "make people feel happy". Leave a comment with your local flavor smile

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5561629_f260.jpg

2. world-wise profile image64
    world-wiseposted 6 years ago

I'm in Devon in the South West of England and our town has "cider Billy" - always ready to greet passers by with a toothy grin and a rustic oohhhh arrrrrrr!

3. wychic profile image91
    wychicposted 6 years ago

There are many colorful and very recognizable people in my small town, but I'd have to say that the one everyone knows without fail is Dave. Dave is a people greeter at Wal-Mart, going on I think 25 years there. He has a bass baritone monotone voice, no expression to his face, and he's about 7 1/2 feet tall and 5 feet wide. You always know he's there by the booming, expressionless "Hi" that he offers to every customer. The store has had very little trouble with theft since Dave came to work for them.

4. OutsideTheLines profile image61
    OutsideTheLinesposted 6 years ago

Our big one here in the Tulsa area is Biker Fox. He was the first person to perform a front flip on a bicycle and he owns a multi-billion dollar company so all he does is ride his bike all day long through the more populated parts of the city flirting with women and sometimes making phallic gestures to entertain. I see him at least 3 times a month.

5. oopsydoopsygirl profile image58
    oopsydoopsygirlposted 6 years ago

Caveman (I think he has a website and a facebook fan page) he's a true hippie from the 60's. Long hair, long beard and never has a top on, only cut-off shorts. People think he's homeless but he's not. He holds signs for local businesses and gets paid in cash. I'm fairly certain he's making more money than I am.

Then there is the Jesus guy. He belts out bible verses and talks about the apocolypse over a megaphone and amplifier all day, every day. He has a large wooden cross permanently affixed to a lightpost on US1 in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

working