With the current condition in Japan, where health could be at risk, would you tr

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Ingenira profile image75
    Ingeniraposted 12 years ago

With the current condition in Japan, where health could be at risk, would you travel to Japan ?

The travel package to Japan has gone really cheap. Some airlines even offered free flights, or dirt cheap flight tickets.

2. kerlynb profile image88
    kerlynbposted 12 years ago

Oh I would, definitely smile

Not  the whole of Japan is affected by nuclear radiation.  Only the northeast part called Tohoku region is under serious threat.

I would like to go to Kyoto in Kansai region that is in the middle of Japan.  Would like to see the historic temples and shrines and the explosion of beautiful autumn colors.

Hokkaido in the northern part of Japan would also be a lovely place to visit - the snow, the seafoods, and the nature are all first-rate.

3. AngelTrader profile image61
    AngelTraderposted 12 years ago

No I wouldn't travel to Japan. The situation there is far worse than the main stream media would have you believe, that's if they are even bothering to report it anymore.

On the 8th November the Japan Times newspaper, in its editorial, listed the concerns facing the current and future health of the Japanese people. While the greatest threat to health applies to the workers at the stricken plants it is also to being felt among the general population including the Royal family.

Areas of Tokyo have increased levels of radiation, including Chiyoda-Ku where the Imperial Japanese family live, oh and the food they eat comes from their farm in Nasu, Tochigi prefecture which has even higher levels of radioactive cesium.

So to be honest I'd give Japan a miss for a while.

4. profile image0
    gkanekoaposted 12 years ago

I just came back Japan about 3 weeks ago.

I wouldn't say I noticed cheaper flights or even free flights. I had to pay an arm and a leg travel from Hawaii to Japan via Hawaiian airlines. I paid about $900. I made my gf pay for me because the yen is so strong so she ended up paying close to $800 in yen.

As for free flights, I think you're talking about the ones that the Japanese Tourism Agency is trying to get the Japanese government to improve?

As for risk: JAPAN IS THE SAFEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, STILL.

Just don't go to Fukushima or anything above Saitama.

I stayed in Tokyo and had a great time. I even went to a farm in Chiba and ate the dairy and the vegetables there.

The only risk you'll take going to Japan is spending too much money and having too much fun.

So to really answer your question: I would travel to Japan. I have traveled to Japan. And I look forward to going back.

Did I mention I was in Tokyo Disney Sea during the actual big earthquake?

5. Dan in Japan profile image61
    Dan in Japanposted 12 years ago

Hi, I live in Japan.  Although I do agree with the answerer who said "It's worse than the Japanese media says," that's not saying a lot.  The media in Japan is not really a watch-dog, muckraking media like we have (had?) in the West. 
    So yes, the media and the shady bureaucrats who run the country have not been as open about the disaster as they should be, but you're asking about travel.
    A good guide for travel info the US State Dept.  If they tell you not to go, don't go.  But, check the link.  There is not significant danger.
    http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_ … _5454.html

The immediate area of the radiation leak is fairly removed from just about any place in Japan you'd visit, unless you had plans to travel to Fukushima.  Tokyo is relatively close, but it is still quite a distance from Tokyo.  Other areas that tourists frequent, such as Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Okinawa, are very far away. 
    People tend to think of Japan as a very small country where a disaster like Fukushima shuts the country down, but for nearly all of Japan, it's business as usual.  Fukushima, again as has been mentioned, is in the Tohoku region, which tourists do not frequent.  Not to make light of the disaster, but other areas including Tokyo go about their daily business, and vegetables, dairy products and other resources are produced country-wide, well out of range of the radiation in most cases. 
    However, the immediate area is probably worse than the authorities are letting on.  But there is no need to travel anywhere near the affected areas.  I was in Tokyo a few days ago, and really I saw no discernable dip in foreign tourists.  (I did of course notice it in March and April.) 
    The main downside to traveling now, as gkanekoa mentioned, assuming you are coming from the USA, is that the Yen is extremely high compared to the dollar right now, so everything is quite pricey.  Even if you find a bargain on a flight, the exchange rate and cost of everything inside Japan will be even more expensive than it usually is.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)